SE PA, NJ, DE, MD Folks - Anyone want BB Tuning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been tossing around the idea of getting the blackbear tune, and just thinking there are ALOT of Tahoes/Gen IV trucks around the local area, and if we get enough interest - It sounds like Justin will make an appearance and tune our trucks on the spot.

So.. I am putting this out there to see if there is interest in The Philadelphia area to meet up and get r done...

Anyone? I can account for 2 already - think we need at least 10 to make it happen.

John

;--------------------
Updated - Starting a list of folks

1. Smoothfrc
2. Buddy of mine (Jim)
3. Sirloin22

Please respond or PM me and state "Add me to the list" and i will do so.

Once i get closer to 10, we can start discussing timing and location.

;--------------------
Looks like the NY folks started their own:

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?p=116546&posted=1#post116546

Good luck!

Last edited:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd do it, if I didn't have it already. Just do it guys, it is more than worth it!

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just gauging interest at the moment.

Depending on where the majority of people would be coming from, we could try to pick someplace in the middle.

I am personally from Mid Delaware, so i dont care if i go to Baltimore or Philadelphia. I am not sure how Justin Travels... if he drives, it may not matter, but if he is flying - i imagine we should keep the location close to a major airport.

I will reach out to JennaBear and see if i can find out some details of how a typical group event would work.

I have a contact over at FullSizeChevy - So they may be able to spark up some interest as well.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it would be $250 and it would be a street tune versus a mail order.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He'll customize the tune for whatever your needs are, but typically I think he adjusts torque management, and shift points/firmness as a starting point. Just those few things make a huge difference. Can you tell a difference? Yes!! I took mine out and put the stock ones back in (an option at additional expense) and it was painful to drive for those few days before I put the modded ones back in.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Subscribed. The in-person tune will be $250, Justin will go to whereever is most convenient for you guys.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested, but I need some convincing that the tune is worth the $250. I find it hard to believe that 'tuning' a n/a stock SUV w/ no mods would make much of a difference.

thaslick1

Reaction score
dang dang dang..... It looks like I'll never get a tune (in person) unless I travel 1400 miles :nonod:

joeyrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can count me in for a tune..

Im in NY, but would travel to philadelphia on a weekend.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, could someone explain how the tune is really worth $250 and the drive. I have had programmers, tunes in the past that did all of that, but I am trying to see how else this would affect our Hoes besides shift points, torque, etc.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, could someone explain how the tune is really worth $250 and the drive. I have had programmers, tunes in the past that did all of that, but I am trying to see how else this would affect our Hoes besides shift points, torque, etc.

I guess that would depend on what you want. If a more responsive vehicle that feels like it shed several hundred pounds is not something you care about, then it isn't for you.

sirloin22

Reaction score
I'm definitely down for a tune! I'm in Brooklyn but willing to travel down the NJ TPK/ I-95

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my take on it....

If you get a handheld tuner, it is very generic and can only do a limited amount of things (Generic tunes for different octane levels, tire sizes, shift firmness, etc) And most of these tuners run in the $300 range.

BB also does a non scan mail order tune for $200 which would still be a generic tune - but given they have the experience under their belt with these trucks, I imagine this tune would be more "refined" then the handheld tuners, plus you have the luxury of requesting additional changes to go with any mods you have.

BB also have a "scan" mail order tune, i believe this is for $300. This would involve you hooking up a scanning tool to your truck, driving it around and whatever and sending it back for a more individualized/custom tune for your individual truck. There are all kinds of deposit charges for the equipment and such along with this.

Both of the above BB options would require you to manually remove Your PCM and swap it out with the mail order version. Maybe not a big deal - never had to do it myself.

The benefit to doing a group tuning session in my eyes would be that you wouldnt have to remove your PCM, and Justin would be in the truck Scanning while tuning. I believe this gives him an even better view on how to tune the trucks, and he can adjust the tunes realtime. This may net a similar result to the BB Mailorder SCAN tune - but it also gives you the opportunity to discuss changes realtime with Justin and maybe have a piece of mind that the tune is working while he is present. Plus this option does not require you to fiddle with the scanning software or the additional costs associated ($50 less for the tune, and no hardware deposits)

Another benefit with BB is the free retunes. If you make changes down the line, you can just have those changes made to your tune (Justin stores and back's up all the tunes he performs). I find this to be a great benefit, as i am not the type to make alot of changes at once - but a little here and there.

I guess i have heard some horrific stories about mailorder tunes in the past, and i just like the idea of the tuner physically having his hands on MY truck while he is tuning it.

As for - What does it get you, i think that is all dependant on what it is YOU want. I for one would like a little better MPG - Would like the sensitivity turned DOWN on the V4-V8 switching. (Think it is at 8%? from the factory, would like to try 12%?) And look to Justin for his expert tuning skills to make any other changes he feels are necessary - maybe remove a little of the TQ management, firm up the shifts a little, etc. This may also get me to finally pick up a CAI prior to getting the tune.

;-----------------
As for some other notes - I have no idea on timing or location yet. Would we want to wait for the spring? Not sure if tuning in the winter makes a whole lot of difference, but the weather is just a bit more unpredictable.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good response Smooth! You pretty much hit in on the head, there are 3 different tunes, an inperson getting you face time with Justin. You don't like something, you tell him and he changes it on the fly. It is essentially the same as a scan cable tune but you have the chance to feel the changes being made as you are driving and Justin is tuning. You also have his ear for ~1.5 hours per tune.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet removing some of the torque mgmt would make a BIG difference in off the line performance.

Remember if you don't buy an extra ECM, you'll either not get any SW updates from dealer or send it back for reprogramming. At least that's what seems to have been pointed out in similar threads.

hotrod127

Reaction score
BB tune

I would also be interested in the BB tune. I have a 2008 that is bone stock. I am interested in a CAI as well.
Jenna wich system is better the Volant @ $361 at Jegs or the K&N 63-3058. @ $299 ???
thx
Jorge

As far as the BB tune I am located in the Nortehern NJ Area .

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Realistically it comes down to personal preference. I am very happy with my AEM and it has virtually the same design as the K&N 77 series. The big thing is just to get rid of the stock restriction.