Severe Rear headliner rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott5000

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just turned 1000 miles on our new LTZ hoe and lovin it. Only major issue that seems to have popped up is a severe rattle in the rear headliner by the rear interior overhead light. I tried pushing the headliner in slightly and with just minor pressure, it make a horrendous noise. Too bad since the rest of the truck seems tight as a drum. The thing that sucks is that the dealer will probably have to tear the entire headliner apart to fix it. Anyone have any similar issues?

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there was an issue with the rear windows rattling. Are you sure it was the headliner?

Scott5000

Reaction score
Yes, it is in the rear headliner near the third row dome light.

eudaman

Reaction score
i have the same issue....brought to dealer and it is much better....but still a little rattle when going over a bumpy road. thinking of a return visit.

LTZBluez

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just turned 1000 miles on our new LTZ hoe and lovin it. Only major issue that seems to have popped up is a severe rattle in the rear headliner by the rear interior overhead light. I tried pushing the headliner in slightly and with just minor pressure, it make a horrendous noise. Too bad since the rest of the truck seems tight as a drum. The thing that sucks is that the dealer will probably have to tear the entire headliner apart to fix it. Anyone have any similar issues?

Has anyone else experience this same problem? I have just noticed the same noise in the rear headliner. I rather try to fix the problem myself and avoid bringing it to the dealer.

gp56

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Denali after 2 weeks. I pried open the light cover (from passenger side) and the light drops out. There are foam cushions that are visible once the light is removed. I pulled down slightly on the headliner to get some clearance between the foam and the roof and shoved a shop towel in between. Problem hasnt returned.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've seen this problem on other boards and it has to do with the padding above the 3rd seat dome lite. gp56 has it although I would probably use something besides a shop towel. But it's hard to argue with success. :thumbsup:

LTZBluez

Reaction score
gp56 & 73shark that sounds like a plan and thanks for your input. I will do it this weekend and hopefully I will be just as successful.:)

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my taste of the headliner rattle...and with my boss in the truck of course! (Sounded like crap, let me tell you!) My passenger in the 2nd row pushed up on the headliner and it would stop if he held it...but rattle if he didn't...

So, looks like I am stuffing something in there tonight...I had heard it start last week, but figured it was the 3rd row seats moving (I keep them folded up vertically so I can keep some gear in back)...but it's definitely the headliner.

For anyone who has had the stealership "fix" this, what exactly did they do? Just wondering...

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read another thread with a guy that had this...he used glue to glue the foam to the metal roof and it worked. My roof is rattling too, I am going to try this tonight.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So funny you revived this thread when you did... I just bought my Tahoe a few weeks ago and just noticed the noise the last couple of weeks. Just as others before stated, it sounded like the 3rd row seats...I even tried forcibly to shake the seats but they're pretty sturdy. Then, a couple of days ago, I looked back immediately when the noise was happening and saw the headliner "bouncing" up and down (right where the 3rd row overhead light is)... Guess I'll be stuffing something up there as well! :yesnod: Don't knock what works, I guess. ;)

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this last night; put some soft rags in between the roof and the black styrafoam pieces, no more rattling!! It is very easy to do.

TDDSMS

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I dont know if this will show you what causes the rattle, but it shows you what's up there in the headliner. http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/2002tahoe/

bonzo

Reaction score
Had the rattle as well--drove me NUTS!

Thanks to the forum, I have exorcised this noise demon too....simply dropped the light assembly, inserted a folded shop towel between the foam and headliner, and voila.....silence! Easy fix....

ki4izq

Reaction score
i had the rattle too.... i put a couple large sponges between the roof and headliner... same principle as the shop towel....

i also had a rattle/squeak in headliner above drivers head due to movement around the sunroof cut out... put a small sponge there...

RysZ71

Reaction score
I'm sooooo glad I've found this thread!!! My '07 Z71 developed this rattling a couple months ago and it has been driving me really crazy!!! What other Tahoe owners are saying in this thread is exactly what I've been dealing with and where the rattle is coming from (over the third seat dome light.) Seems worse when it's cold out too! I'm going to try the fix listed here this weekend and hopefully get rid of that frkn' rattle!!

clkelley

Reaction score
I'm glad YOU brought it back, I had the same thing in the wife's yukon and couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. Once I read this it clicked.....hmmm lol