Slow 2nd Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnosryd

Reaction score
Before I changed my wheel set-up on my 01 tahoe seemed like it was pretty quick running through the gears. After I put on 22's seems like I lost alot of torque or something in second gear. Best way I can describe it is in 1st gear you feel it really pull, 2nd gear hits and it feels like the torque drops off and it builds up speed slowly, 3rd gear hits and I feel it really pull again through the rest of the gears. I realize that with the 22's now on it it's harder to get it going and also with the Flowmaster probably cost me a little low end grunt because of the lost backpressure. Anybody have any ideas what I could do to get a little more torque back in 2nd gear? I've been thinking of a power Programmer but the more I read about a PCM tune the more I like it.

Any help would be appreciated and if you live near Norwalk, CA 90650 I'll hook you up with a free termite inspection. For those who live too far away send me a picture of your house and I'll walk you through it.

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the weight of the wheels. I went from factory 16s to 24s on mine and i noticed a big difference....I bought the truck brand new so i know where its been. The only fix is to get a lower gear ratio on the diffirential....I put 4.11s and it runs better than it did with the original tires and gear. Note: You will need a power programmer to recalibrate the gear ratio in order for ABS speed sensor on the pinion yoke to read the correct info. If not....you will get an "ABS" light on in the dash! It cost me $450 to get the gears installed and they charged me an extra $250 to correct the speedometer for my tire size, shift points and firmness of shifts from the tranny, remove the speed governor, increase engine performance output, and lower fan activating temperatures (i also installed a cololer thermo). Tahoe really gets up an goes now! Feels light and quick like a silverado does

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a tune and you'll be fine, you lost alot of power from adding all that rotational mass from the large wheels.