Smoking exhaust on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ama299

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post.

I have an 03 Yukon XL with the 5.3. Some times when I start it it lets out a big buff of blue smoke that smells like gas. I have brought it to the dealer several times and they finely said it's the valve seals. I'm looking for second opinions and the extended warrenty will not cover it sense its normal wear and tear. It has 70,000 miles on it. FYI-back in Jan I had to replace the head Gaskets. I have only had the thing sense Dec. and its in the shop more than in my drive way. What do you guys think?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Sounds like the valve stem seals. Oil seeps past the valve stems into the upper cylinders and when you start it up, the oil burns a bluish color.

ama299

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys I was just checking. I wanna put money into the truck, but not this way. Was hoping for new rims or something.

ama299

Reaction score
update

After complaining to the owner of the car dealership they had me bring it back in and guess what my heads are cracked.

background info:
Back in Jan. they replaced the head gaskets, and it was blue smoking still when I got it back and they said it will be okay just keep driving it, and then the low coolant light comes on just like before and then that is when I got a hold of the owner of the place. I'm sure getting my use out of my extended warranty.

I purchased the the Yukon in Dec 07 so yea they sold me a vehicle with 2 cracked heads. I should have known when the sales guy said the person who traded that in had a upside down loan on it, but of course I did too.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep...tell-tell sign of cracked head, smoke, and loss of water and you have no idea where the water went,.,,,sux :(

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After complaining to the owner of the car dealership they had me bring it back in and guess what my heads are cracked.

background info:
Back in Jan. they replaced the head gaskets, and it was blue smoking still when I got it back and they said it will be okay just keep driving it, and then the low coolant light comes on just like before and then that is when I got a hold of the owner of the place. I'm sure getting my use out of my extended warranty.

I purchased the the Yukon in Dec 07 so yea they sold me a vehicle with 2 cracked heads. I should have known when the sales guy said the person who traded that in had a upside down loan on it, but of course I did too.

Yikes, sounds like someone overheated the hell out of that truck.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sucks you're having all these problems at just 70k miles. I know people with burbs with 170k miles and they still dont smoke.