Starting trouble and gas gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slackerdave

Reaction score
My 2003 2wd Tahoe with 45,000 miles on it won't start. It turns over but will not start. It has a full tank of gas but the gauge reads empty and fuel light is on. I went to crank it this morning and my fingers slipped off key before it cranked and would not start after that. Its also first time I seen the service brake booster message was on. It has always started and ran great with no issues. Nothing has been modified and has the 5.3 non-flex

Last edited:

slackerdave

Reaction score
I guess I have to get it to a mechanic for that. As it won't start I will have to have it towed and was hopping to get a fix without the expense of having to do that. If I had to guess it is probably the fuel pump but was hoping someone could help me figure something else out I could do myself. I have a bone disease and can't physically do much.

Thanks, for any help!

slackerdave

Reaction score
Well I took it to my mechanic and after testing for codes and checking to make sure fuel pump was good it ended up being the IGN relay. Now everything is back working fine.

ericburney

Reaction score
Dave,

Was your relay inside the fuse box? One of those black square fuses? Did you get
one from an auto parts store or dealer?

Thanks

Eric

slackerdave

Reaction score
It was in the black box with the fuses under the hood. You can get the fuse at a auto parts store

Prospect62

Reaction score
I love hearing when it's a cheap fix. Always good to see. When I first read it I was like "fuel pump" all day long. Nice surprise.

slackerdave

Reaction score
I't was a nice surprise to me also. I was expecting to replace the fuel pump and glad to find out it was just the relay