steering wheel controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alvaj1603

Reaction score
does anybody know how to remove the buttons on my steering wheel to replace the bulbs i have a 2004 z71 tahoe?

dpnut2

Reaction score
This is not mine, but found it here or on another site...can't remember...

Changing the steering wheel bulbs without takin off the whole frickin thing.
this is what you got to start obviously.

next slide a small flathead screwdriver into the bottom corner of the button...

Or the top of the button, or the side, it doesn't matter....

Most peope have trouble right here,just b/c they are being so careful and don't want to break anything. I'm tellin you... that part of the steering wheel is rubber. You can jam that screwdriver and bend the rubber all you want, its going to go back into place...trust me! essentially you are wanting to get the end of it to the back of the button housing and it'll slide on out...

the tough part is gettin the harness out, don't yank on it b/c the wires i'm sure will break...but itll pull out just enough to slide your finger around and hit the little release switch.

see this is how much wire you have to work with.. (still alot easier than takin off the steering wheel)

next take the button housing apart, its got 4 little clips you pop open and it'll come apart...

BUT WATCH OUT!!! see these little red pegs... if you tilt this thing back they'll come out, its not a big deal other than the fact that they are a BI@#$ to get back in those pegs, i suggest if they do come out, to let your son, or daughter put them back in, plus they'll love "workin on the truck with dad.." if you don't have a kid... go borrow the neighbors haha.

the green part will slide off... those little blue things are the bulbs..well under the blue coating... if you turn the board over, you'll see two white blocks on either side...this is where the bulbs are connected. a wire on each side of each bulb is suppose to be folded over the top to secure it... give them a slight wiggle, b/c my solder was lose at the under the bulb fixture. i soldered it back and it was great. you can also turn the bulbs from the top counter clockwise and they will unscrew... but you have to have a pair of tweezers, and not break the solder (be sure to keep a finger on the white block on the back with some pressure against it so you don't break that solder), and i have no idea where you'd find a new LED, i'm someone on here knows though...

another small fry job is putting the thing back in! since the wire is so short, you have to pull it as far as you can, slide your finger under there and wait for the click...just keep workin with it... its not a tough job or anything, just easier if you had tiny hands...

then just push it back in and your done... voila !!

**I HAVE IT IN A WORD DOC WITH PICS, COULD NOT POST PICS IN THIS POST**

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this a few weeks ago. Do yourself a favor and remove the wheel and take it apart. When you remove the back cover you can loosen the wires making it's quick and easy and you don't have to worry about short wires. :)