Tahoe as a second car/for towing only... 95-99 model years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

classact2575

Reaction score
And by "second car," I mean truck, but grammatically I can't define my current jalopy as a truck... hence the use of "car." ;) :thumbsup:

Okay, so I'm looking to get a used Tahoe on the cheap (<$5000) to tow a horse trailer. I'd only be using it probably 2-3 times a month in the spring/summer/fall. Trailer is 2500 lbs empty, horse weighs around 1200 lbs, and the misc junk I bring along probably is under 200 lbs total... so we're talking around 3900, maybe 4000 lbs of weight. (Trailer is 5000 lbs max load anyway.)

That being said, I'm looking to buy a Tahoe or Suburban - the Tahoe is preferred as the wheelbase makes hitching up/turning a bit easier, plus I'll be using weight distribution bars to compensate for the shorter wheelbase.

My question is, what year Tahoe would fit in this category? I'm thinking more along the lines of the engine - I've heard the 350s are very reliable/well made, and are cheap on repairs... however, the Vortec is better in terms of power. I looked up the reliability ratings on MSN autos (http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1995&make=Chevrolet&model=Tahoe&trimid=-1 ) and it appears the 95-96 models and 98-99 are good, with 97 being horrible.

I'm leaning toward finding a 1995, for the reasons above about the 350, plus the 4x4 is manual vs. electronic (one less thing to break, IMO). I definitely need 4x4 where I am.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :D

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you look hard enough you can find a 96-99 tahoe with the 4wd on the floor. i guess it was an option instead of the push button. good luck finding one though. through the several trucks i looked at before i got mine (atleast 25-30) i think 2 of them had it.

the Vortec has more horsepower, but i can't remember the exact number off the top of my head.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking more along the lines of the engine - I've heard the 350s are very reliable/well made, and are cheap on repairs... however, the Vortec is better in terms of power. I looked up the reliability ratings on MSN autos (http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1995&make=Chevrolet&model=Tahoe&trimid=-1 ) and it appears the 95-96 models and 98-99 are good, with 97 being horrible.

I'm leaning toward finding a 1995, for the reasons above about the 350, plus the 4x4 is manual vs. electronic (one less thing to break, IMO). I definitely need 4x4 where I am.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :D

The 96-99 vortec is also a 350 cubic inch engine. I am driving a 97 Tahoe, and do not have any of the problems that were listed in your link. Admittedly, I have only had mine for 6 months, but the previous owner had all the maintenance records. I currently have 128k miles on mine, so maybe some of those problems are yet to come.

I also have a 94 K1500 with the pre-vortec 350 (TBI). My Tahoe gets a little better mileage than the pickup. But I don't know what the weight differences are between them, so it's hard to make a mileage comparison. I can also feel a difference in power between the two. The Tahoe is much better off the line, as well as accelerating to pass on the highway.

classact2575

Reaction score
Ah, makes sense (re: the 350)... I'm not too familiar with engines & stuff (as you can probably tell, I'm female, haha), but figured the Vortec was sort of an additional component/upgrade to the existing 350.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vortec engine basically has re-designed heads for better flow. They also have a better fuel injection system. But the block itself is basically the same.

And welcome to the forum!

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the same thing as you, instead of my wife daily driving a full size truck we got a 99 Tahoe with 101,000 miles as a 3rd car to pull the boat in the summer and are leasing her a smaller SUV to do the daily driving. I picked up my truck for $6000 and it is almost perfect condition. The drivetrain in the Tahoe's and Yukons are pretty strong as long as long as you catch the leaky intake gaskets before they claim the motor. Good luck, and as a side note I am giving free carfax reports for the next month until my membership runs out so shoot me the vin of any truck you might be considering..

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 99 suburban with 7.4 (454 , big block) TONS OF POWER, but GAS SUCKED, i mean like 9 city. awsome towing and hauling, but my 5.3 still has more power now. why not get a 2000, the 5.3 IMO is better than the 5.7, but i never had any trouble with my engine ( or really anything else for that matter) cant go wrong with a chevy, no matter what year. :)

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 99 suburban with 7.4 (454 , big block) TONS OF POWER, but GAS SUCKED, i mean like 9 city. awsome towing and hauling, but my 5.3 still has more power now. why not get a 2000, the 5.3 IMO is better than the 5.7, but i never had any trouble with my engine ( or really anything else for that matter) cant go wrong with a chevy, no matter what year. :)

She wants to stay under $5000.. Wont find a 2000 for under $5000 unless it has 300,000 miles on it. I just paid $6000 for a 99 with 100,000 and thats a good deal.. When you hit the body style chage at 2000 they jump 2-4 grand..

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The differences in the engine reliability ratings for the 1995 versus 1996+ may be the new fuel injection system that was introduced that year.

The 1996 was the first year of the Vortec fuel injection versus the throttle body injection of the 1995 Tahoe and 92-94 K-Blazer. The 1995 Tahoe was the first time a four door was available. Earlier ones were called K-Blazers and only came in two door. Besides an interior refresh, a 1994 K-Blazer is about the same as a 1995 Tahoe.

The 1996+ 350 was rated at 255-hp versus 200 on the 1995 TBI 350. If you're only pulling a trailer around a couple times a month, I'd go with whatever is in the best condition that your budget will find. Either will pull just fine and its not like you're drag racing with a horse trailer anyways! I'd take a clean, well maintained non-Vortec 1995 over a ragged out Vortec 1996 model.

When you find one, take it to a dealer and pay about $100 for an inspection. One thing to look for on the Vortec motors is one of the intake manifold gaskets is subject to leaking. It's about a $500-$600 fix at the dealer. Fuel pumps can also be problematic, but at the age of vehicle you're looking for maybe you can find one that has already had most of the bugs fixed in it.

Good luck in your search.

kiddcarbuff

Reaction score
i guess i got lucky, i got an 03 for $1100 bucks, 160k on it. all dealer records. but yes, the 350 is gonna get you in gas, but it is very nice towing.

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i got lucky, i got an 03 for $1100 bucks, 160k on it. all dealer records. but yes, the 350 is gonna get you in gas, but it is very nice towing.

That's an absurd deal, you bought it from a family member didnt you?

kiddcarbuff

Reaction score
no, had minor minor minor front end damage, nothing a new bumper and some paint couldnt fix. the dealership didnt want to acept it as a trade in so he decided to sell privatly so he could put a down payment on a new one. i bought it, got a bumper and some other small things and slingd some new paint on the nose

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice deal man.. sounds kinda hoaky tho. but what ever suits your needs.. i have a 95 tahoe (for the ppl above).. seems pretty good as far as i know.. i hate the drivers seat bcuz its known to cause ripping in the leather. but o well.. obviously the 350 in mine. does pretty good, fun in the snow.. although only 2wd, who cares its lowered.. it would be hard to lower a 4 wheel drive one.. but whatever.. i like my tahoe.. but i need some ideas on a custom paint job?? anyone have any sweet pictures of theres??