Tahoe Starts and Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sphillips

Reaction score
2000 Z71 OBS, 5.7L. About six months ago I installed a new OEM fuel pump. About two months ago I got in the truck, engine cold, turned the key, engine would try to start, then die. Tried this multiple times, finally it started and have not had any start issues until yesterday. Drove to the grocery store, got back in, same thing, tried to start but would not. After sitting for about 10min it started. Drove home no issues. This morning got in the truck to go to work, turned the key, tried to start but died. Tried several times, but had to get to work so took the other car.

Any thoughts?

Thx

[email protected]

Reaction score
Did you replace the fuel pump connector at the same time as the pump?

These connectors can overheat and lose contact and the pump will be intermittant or not at all.

Thanks.

sphillips

Reaction score
Did you replace the fuel pump connector at the same time as the pump?

These connectors can overheat and lose contact and the pump will be intermittant or not at all.

Thanks.

Did replace the connector, it was different from the original. The pump does run when the key is turned for about 2sec. Also, no trouble codes have popped.

Thx

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the fuel filter it is possible that it could be clogged...

sphillips

Reaction score
Did you replace the fuel filter it is possible that it could be clogged...

Replaced the filter at the same time as the pump. Also, no codes. I checked fuel pressure yesterday, 60psi. I was thinking it might be the fuel pressure regulator, but not sure that would cause an intermittent problem. Think I will clean the IAC this weekend. A couple of years ago i replaced the intake gasket, at which time I cleaned the throttle body as well.

sphillips

Reaction score
Forgot to update. Found the ground wire for the fuel pump which is located forward of the left rear tire and inboard on the frame, was severely corroded. Removed, cleaned terminal and frame with steel brush a month and a half ago, no problems since.