Tahoe trim removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

importmd

Reaction score
I have a 01 Hoe and i was wondering if the side bumper moldings are held on with a double side sticky tape or body clips meaning holes in the metal?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. All the badges and moulding are held in place with double sided tape. Try performing a search; there are at least a couple good topics covering the removal of these.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey man all of the side moldings are just double sided tape, once you take them off, just get a blow dryer and some adhesive remover, and just roll off the excess tape

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I like the clean look w/o the trim

welcome.gif
Yea...amazing how much of a difference it makes just losing the badges and moulding. I took my antenna and On-Star cellular antenna off as well.

oh2tahoe

Reaction score
Just be careful if your paint is faded. You will see the outlines of the emblems if it is.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Does Onstar work when you do that?

The cellular portion of the system won't work, but the gps will. So you can't communicate with the On-star ops, but if you get into an accident, need to unlock your doors, locate the vehicle, the gps should still work fine.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cellular portion of the system won't work, but the gps will. So you can't communicate with the On-star ops, but if you get into an accident, need to unlock your doors, locate the vehicle, the gps should still work fine.

thats where i differ, i think the antennas are cool, kinda adds a rugged look to it. but to each is their own LOL.

is double sided tape really all that hold them on, what if one day in the years a head one falls off. Are they easy to put back on??

oh2tahoe

Reaction score
If one fell off, you might have some problems, It took me and a buddy hours to pull his off. The glue is pretty tough stuff. But if it did, i guess you could clean all the residue and old glue off and order a new piece.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one fell off, you might have some problems, It took me and a buddy hours to pull his off. The glue is pretty tough stuff. But if it did, i guess you could clean all the residue and old glue off and order a new piece.

Yeah I was watching them build Peterbilts start to finish and dude said that the trim adhesive lasts for like 20 years or something. WOW!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was watching them build Peterbilts start to finish and dude said that the trim adhesive lasts for like 20 years or something. WOW!

ok, just as long as its not gunna fall off in the car wash one day. but was more curoius then worried.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, just as long as its not gunna fall off in the car wash one day. but was more curoius then worried.

lol.... I doubt it, I just thought I'd never get to share that info cuz I just thought it was cool. I was like WHAT! when they just showed them "gluing" them on. Hell I dont know if they use the same stuff as Peterbilt but its gotta be close.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol.... I doubt it, I just thought I'd never get to share that info cuz I just thought it was cool. I was like WHAT! when they just showed them "gluing" them on. Hell I dont know if they use the same stuff as Peterbilt but its gotta be close.

yea i like the badges , also have a few scratches on her, to me their battle marks, a matter of honer, not a defect, ok i say that because i cant stand to pay dealer prices for a repair. :D :umn:

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I had a 1993 Oldsmobile that the side trim got beat off by an overzealous car wash. That was in 2001, I believe.

evenflow76

Reaction score
I found this thread and also removed my fender flares, it does look ALOT better than having them on (mine were black and unpainted) but i did run into a problem that i thought should be mentioned for anyone looking to do this in the future......after removing the flares it revealed gouge marks along the top where the flares rubbed the body leaving very noticable "scratches" along the top of where all four flares rested against the body panels. i am having a body guy try to wet sand the gouges out this friday hoping i wont have to do any paint work to fix these areas becusae it actuailly almost looks better with the marks than it did with the flares on the vehicle. i will let everyone know how the mark removal works just in case anyone runs int the same situation i did.

jrneyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what a great topic here--i have seen so many debadged on the site here--

mine had some really worn window visors that were NOT the in-channel kind--took me about 1 hr to remove them--and that was just 3M body and moulding tape---i cannot imagine anything stronger that that, but im sure it exists---anyway after i removed them, the paint was so scratched, i had to go back with the same kind of visor----:cryin: