Tahoes with 4.8L V8....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wassup? How are tahoes with 4.8L V8 like? I'm thinking of getting a tahoe with this engine.... but i need input from people to know what theyre like.... would you recommend this engine???? do they save more gas than the 5.3L? any information would be great....

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 4.8L and don't mind it. If you put an intake, exaust, and reprogram it it will run nice and strong, and still be "decent" on gas. I don't have the 5.3 but i think i get better gas mileage. good luck with the purchase!

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4.8 and although I can't compare it to something I have never owned it works great for me. I am power hungry so more ponies would have been good but with my intake and future exahust plans I'll be ok. I can't remember it gets better or worse gas mileage than a 5.3. I would have to dig up something from Chevy on that. The 4.8 in the Tahoe is a good match perhaps not the best match depending on your needs or wants but it's a good match.

As far as the aftermarket, the 4.8 can untilze anything bolt on that was intended for the 5.3 as they are the same engine with the only difference being diplacement.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a 4.8 Yukon and I love it. When I first bought it, I would notice it lost a little bit of speed on steep inclines and the engine would have to downshift...but like I said that was only on big hills. Since I've bought it I installed a flowmaster force II exhaust system and a K&N 77 series metal intake kit and that issue is history. The exhaust alone made a little difference but the COI really changes things. On the 4.8L K&N guarantees a 14.5HP gain. The extra power in acceleration and cruising speeds goes a long way...not to mention it sounds great. W/ these addons, you're running more HP than the 5.3L comes with stock anyway and it only cost me about $400.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my 4.8. If you're a guy like me that never keeps your truck stock for very long, its a great buy. Besides, the 5.3L only has @ 10 more HP anyway from my understanding.

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 5.3 and love it the horsepower is only ten more that the 4.8 but it has 20 more pound feet of torque. The 5.3 is a torque BEAST when you get on it hard it torques back incredibly hard. But i have also road in the 4.8 and it is not quite as peppy i notice more than anything the lack of torque. No sure about gas millage but thats my 2 cents.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, try the 6.0, can you say "perma grin"?:yesnod:
I love to floor it from a dead stop and off I go, quick!!!:D

txshriner

Reaction score
none of the above!

wassup? How are tahoes with 4.8L V8 like? I'm thinking of getting a tahoe with this engine.... but i need input from people to know what theyre like.... would you recommend this engine???? do they save more gas than the 5.3L? any information would be great....

my 2 cents is neither one. my friend bought a 5.3 last month and i bought the new 6.2 with 6 speed auto trans and i get better mileage than he does! and our dirve out prices were within just a few bucks of each other.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through the same thought process. If you plan to tow alot, get the 5.3...normal driving and very occational haul, 4.8 does fine!