The loud whining noise!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlitzKrieg

Reaction score
The loud whining noise coming from under the hood. Is that the power steering? There is a 1500 pick up my same gen in my apartment that is having the same issues (I think he is choosing not to address it though). I tend to hear this noise in these generation 1500s. The whining gets louder with more pedal. Mines not to bad yet but i'd like to kill it before it does. Any help would be appreciated.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a vacuum type whine? a belt whine? kinda broad to shoot an answer...

BlitzKrieg

Reaction score
well i figured with the power steering question that might be a good enough toss up for someone to catch. It sounds to me like when the power steering pump goes out. But it's got plenty of fluid and the power steering seems to be fine. The noise does increase when you give it throttle. It's not the radio, the belt is not squeking. Could there be a bearing that likes to go out in one of the pulleys? Perhaps the tensioner? I'm just trying to throw ideas out there till someone thats run into this problem speaks up. I hear alot of the 94-99 1500s making this noise. Seems something is getting old and wearing out.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha. ive got a rotational type squeak in mine.
the best way to see if its a pulley is to pull yer serp. belt off and manually turn all of the pulleys and listen for a noise or slight play in any of them.

BlitzKrieg

Reaction score
yes perfect. sounds like i have a supercharger. i mean i wouldn't mind the sound if i had one but i don't. So i'd like to get rid of the noise. thats probably the best description of the noise as crazy as that sounds

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it aint that noise the alternator puts off is it? mine makes a supercharger-like noise. i have a similar whine the sounds like its coming from the vent past the left side of the steering wheel....no its not my fan! lol havent figured it out either.

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is under the hood and you can hear it, get a piece of heater hose a foot or two long. This is be like a stethoscope, you know one end on your ear the other at different spots that the noise seems to be coming from. It has worked for me in the past...a few car builders I know tought me that one.

BlitzKrieg

Reaction score
Well for all the guys that can't figure it out i'm about 90% sure it's the belt tensioner pulley. I got a former gm mechanic to help me out, we used a long screw driver as a stethoscope and clearly found the whinning coming from the tensioner, gets louder with throttle. Checked the alternator with it and nothing. AC DELCO p/n-38103.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easy enough to replace. keep us posted. you can get cheap atuomotive stethescopes at harbour freight. i got mine for like 5 bucks. use it quite often.
brand name tool manufacuters carry them too, ive used both but they all do the same thing.