These trucks are TOUGH!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget about the ding my neighbor put on the side molding. Driving down an LA freeway at 3 am the other night, this POS truck in the next lane ahead of me ran over & kicked up a piece of plywood like 3'X3' and it popped up and smacked the front of my ride. When I got home I saw in horror that it had scratched the silver middle bumper cover, the piece that holds the foglight is all scuffed around the square foglight, and there's a couple major scratches next to it, and the plastic air dam is scuffed too. There was a small chunk of wood wedged between the air dam and the corner piece it mounts to, which I at first thought was double sided tape it was so tight in there. So that piece is misaligned a bit now. I almost puked. But the next day I went out with some 3M Scratch Remover and a foam pad, got almost ALL of it out. Took the splinter out & will be re-adjusting that piece. Waiting for a Porter Cable machine I ordered with pads, and I think after I polish it with various product it will look like it never happened! Nothing broke or dented, just scuffed/ scrtched the clearcoat a lot. Answered my question about the clearcoat on these, I think it's fairly hard and there's still a lot left. At first I was ready to repaint everything it looked so bad, but now I think you couldn't even tell after I'm done. Big piece of plywood at 80 mph, and no real damage! I would post pictures but there's nothing to see. This is the second time this year some Caballero in a junker popped up a gift to my car, 1st time was a tire tread that popped the foglight flat out of my 530i.:mad2:
Both times I've got no where to go in time to avoid it. These trucks are tough though, I love it.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow :eek:

Would have liked to have seen some before and after pics of that :thumbsup:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow :eek:

Would have liked to have seen some before and after pics of that :thumbsup:

I should've grabbed some before pics, but it was the last thing on my mind, ya know? My head was racing with what to about it.:crazy:

What I will do though is take some pics later after I polish it out correctly, just to show what a flying piece of plywood DIDN'T do to it.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I dare say LIKE A ROCK! I was rear ended and my passengers had to tell me I was rear ended as I thought the kids were kicking the seats.

You may dare. LIKE A ROCK!

Also, heard in another forum that GM paint is rating very high on the satisfaction polls. I think Subaru was about the worst.

LIKE A ROCK!

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All OEM clear coat on cars aren't great, unless you buy a very high-end car.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tell ya gm has had tuff trucks and cars for ever, in my 1991 2500 suburban.

I was comming home in january during a freak 10 degree snowy day. I think we had already gotten like 8 inches of snow. I was not worried about that but I was worried about was the black ice below it since it rained the night before and we have freezing weather the next day. Anyway the interstate was moving a mile an hour (really) so i got off and there was this COVERED IN SNOW ROAD. But i new it was va bch blvd so i went on it, moveing along at a safe and comfortable 30 mph, then out of know ware this IDIOT in a toyota celica (sp sry) races out and starts to do donuts. I dont have a chance in hell at stopping so i turn and surprise it cought traction, right over a curbed median though the grass right in to a telephone poll. actully i had hit the right fender, anyway the force of it felt terrible and i thought my truck was gone. Get out look at the damage and was incredibly surprised to see only a dent in the side of the fender.:D:D get back in start up the truck, and continue on my way home. Why i always feel safe in these trucks. :cool2::cool2:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a minivan slide into the rear driver's side quarter panel last winter. As we were stuck together both vehicle panels were pushed in pretty good and i thought there was a lot of damage:mad2:.

But after we got them apart the minivan looked like a bull ran into the side of it. The Tahoe panel popped back out and there were only a few scuff marks on the plastic fender flares:eek2:. However, there was one gouge on the flare that needed to be addressed by the body shop. All in all I (and the minivan owner) was impressed by the Tahoe!

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yo OP i feel for ya bro.. but i'm going thru the same stuff -- someone broke my mirror off.. i just noticed it looks like someone kicked (i think) in my center hub cap, no big deal tho. i also had a dirty hand print on it for some random reason (crazy down town drunks i guess). other then that it's not bad.. oh and i scraped some paint off the rear bumper (gotta get it resprayed!). all in all, not bad for driving the most hated-by-liberals vehicle. which is funny b/c most cheap hippy liberals that drive there 89 toyota tercels pollute more than my 07 hoe does! :)

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some interestimg stories guys, and thank you for assuring me that I am not the only one experiencing such "trials", though I'd prefer to skip the "misery loves company" bit and instead have you guys not have to deal with these things. Especially you, S.V.T., cause it sounds like yours is just waiting to get F'd with again and again if you don't take extra precautions. It sucks. This is why I keep trying to think of a way to build a comprehensive, high tech security system... Keep thinking about having the alarm & shock sensor I ordered trigger a call to my cell; having cameras pointing around the truck that link to my laptop in real time, and record events; even devices to scare or hurt would be thieves.

Anyway, one of the way I took out my frustrations constructively was that I just de-badged the liftgate! Looks pretty good, gotta polish it, but thinking about putting a Z71 4x4 badge on there.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess you could say it for any 70's American truck, but some of these stories remind me of an incident when I was 15, driving the green/white 74 Suburban 4X4 we had then...
My brother and I were driving home from school when a fire truck came up behind with lights and sirens. We pulled over, but this new Honda full of like 5 Asian kids did not and they actually blocked the fire truck. So after it passes my brother starts yelling at them about how their ignoring the law could cost someones life, they just reply by cussing, flipping the bird, so we were like "pull over then, we're gonna kick all your asses!" So we pull over & get out, these 5 dudes go in the trunk and arm themselves with hammers and handles. So we're like, ah ****, let's go. Get in the Burb and before we can take off they're beating the hell out of the back and side of the truck, but we pull away. Come to realize we have a 2X4 in the back...:lol: So we drive around the block to find them putting the sticks and hammers away, when they see us they start coming again. Next thing you know my brother's charging them with the 2X4. They drop their sticks, some in the trunk, some on the ground, and jump in the Honda trying to bail. But not before the 2X4 came reigning down on the trunklid! I saw, I kid you not, a perfect 2X4 shaped dent on that trunk, it actually was about 3" deep, funniest looking thing ever! And they kept right on going. We looked at the truck, not a scratch, dent, nothing! LIKE A ROCK!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgive my ignorance, but whats a Cabellero?

It's like a Mexican Cowboy or Ranchero I think, I use it to describe those guys who don't speak English, wear moustaches, cowboy hats/boots, play that funny music, and drives the most junky, unsafe looking trucks and minivans but fully decked out in Pep Boys accessories, like lights and chrome trim on everything. Usually it's good for a laugh, but sometimes there's a serious danger from these ill-equipped "vehicles".

And my disclaimer: I am not racist; I am White, my wife is Asian, my Godfather is Mexican, my employees are from every race. I grew up in a Mexican neighborhood of L.A., these were my friends. I speak and understand 3 languages. I usually judge people by their merits. But I also have to call it like I see it. And these guys are a danger on the road sometimes, trust me.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I think Subaru was about the worst." that's surprising as I always thought those were good cars.

That's exactly what they were saying, that the Subaru ranked highly everywhere except the paint. I think it's one stage even, no clear coat. They were saying it was chipping off with unusual ease, and people were taking them back but having a hard time getting the dealers to accept responsibility. The one's with the worst damage were sometimes able to get a re-paint. Yes, they did scratch their heads at how a car that was so "together" could have such an easily avoided problem.

rebpvu

Reaction score
One tuff truck

Got rear ended on 5/26/08 by a 1999 Toyota. My 2008 Hoe sustained two minor dents to rear bumper and scratches to hitch. Toyota not so lucky. Front end totalled. Toyota driver was amazed at the amount of damage to his vehicle compared to the minor damage to my vehicle that he struck. Responding police officer handling accident was also amazed and commented to me about the quality built of the Chevrolet Tahoe.

Always feel a little bit more safe when driving Hoe compared to the other two vehicle I have, 2006 Honda CRV and 2004 Ford Crown Victoria.

accident1.JPG

accident2.JPG

2008 Tahoe LS, Blue Granite Metallic

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pick up some optimum intense polish, and use the orange pad, and PC 7424 and that will come out...some polish are sh*tty...so do some research!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got rear ended on 5/26/08 by a 1999 Toyota. My 2008 Hoe sustained two minor dents to rear bumper and scratches to hitch. Toyota not so lucky. Front end totalled. Toyota driver was amazed at the amount of damage to his vehicle compared to the minor damage to my vehicle that he struck. Responding police officer handling accident was also amazed and commented to me about the quality built of the Chevrolet Tahoe...

I always love seeing pictures like that, call me sadistic...

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pick up some optimum intense polish, and use the orange pad, and PC 7424 and that will come out...some polish are sh*tty...so do some research!

If that was to me, then thanks for the tip man! I heard Optimum is good; shame if I have to order again because I just did order a grip of products. Did get orange pads but the only good polish I have is Menzerna Final Polish, which everyone says is excellent, but yeah it's too fine for this. You know if you can get Optimum from a physical store, so I don't have to make another order just for that?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always love seeing pictures like that, call me sadistic...

Right there with you man, that Toyota must've been designed as one big crumple zone. Don't think that one's gonna buff out...:D