Throttle Body Spacer, How hard to install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at a throttle spacer for my Hoe, and I was wondering if anyone knew how hard it is to install by yourself, or should I have my local shop put it in? And if I had the shop put it in how much would that cost me?? Thanks:Chevy:!!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't throttle body spacers like the turbonators (no real hp gains)? All they do is lengthen the distance air needs to travel. Some have "rifling", but is that really going to affect air flow to the upper plenum to increase hp?

In any case, it should be relatively easy to install. I assume it fits between the throttle body and intake manifold. I believe it would only take the removal of the throttle body (do not remove wiring to TB and do not touch butterfly valve), bolt on spacer and reinstall TB. Depending on the spacer thickness, the intake may need to be adjusted.

I have installed a plenum spacer on my G35 coupe with great results. However, there is a design flaw where the upper plenum was angeled down towards the front two cylinders and air flow was not optimum. The angle was required to fit the stock front suspension brace.

If you install, let us know the results. Maybe a before and after dyno...

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. My friend put a throttle body spacer on Sierra and we definately noticed gains, it was much faster off a stopsign, and he better gas mileage, so I thought it might be worth looking into. I also looked at this site: http://www.throttlebodyspacer.com/ which was pretty helpful. If I install it I will definately let you know how it turns out if I install it.

K@YM@N

Reaction score
I installed the spacer on my own..... very easy to install . my personal opinion , NO GAIN in power or gas mileage....feels good when accelerating at a even speed:thumbsup:

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of very few being able to tell any diff. I still keep waiting for someone to do dyno test but haven't seen any to date. Keep us posted on how it works out.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it works like carb spacers, then it basically shifts the hp peak to a higher rpm with little or no increase in hp.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't throttle body spacers like the turbonators (no real hp gains)? All they do is lengthen the distance air needs to travel. Some have "rifling", but is that really going to affect air flow to the upper plenum to increase hp?

In any case, it should be relatively easy to install. I assume it fits between the throttle body and intake manifold. I believe it would only take the removal of the throttle body (do not remove wiring to TB and do not touch butterfly valve), bolt on spacer and reinstall TB. Depending on the spacer thickness, the intake may need to be adjusted.

I have installed a plenum spacer on my G35 coupe with great results. However, there is a design flaw where the upper plenum was angeled down towards the front two cylinders and air flow was not optimum. The angle was required to fit the stock front suspension brace.

If you install, let us know the results. Maybe a before and after dyno...

You say not to touch the butterfly valve. Will this damage it? When i have cleaned throttle bodies on other vehicles i gently move the valve around to properly clean the entire body. Will the Tahoe's be damaged if i do this?
thanks

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually decided to not do it after not finding any confirmed results, but thank you for the advice! :Chevy:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say not to touch the butterfly valve. Will this damage it? When i have cleaned throttle bodies on other vehicles i gently move the valve around to properly clean the entire body. Will the Tahoe's be damaged if i do this?
thanks

No it will not damage it. However, some cars (like my G35) require a butterfly valve position reset if the sensor indicates a different position from the last reading (prior to engine shutdown). For the G35, we had to do the gas pedal push/timing method. This was more of a precaution; not sure if the butterfly valve sensor acted in the same manner.

vkuber

Reaction score
About the Throttle Body Spacer .. My boy had a 06 Silverado with a Volant intake, and he said he had no room to install the Throttle Body Spacer. Is that the same for the tahoes, etc? Since I have also purchased the Volant Kit.

teemgreen99

Reaction score
I had a tbs on my silverado and the only thing i noticed was the incredibly loud and annoying whistling it made, now it serves as a bright red paper weight.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a TBS airaid I don't really notice any whislte. I had to cut my intake tube about an inch in order to fit my new hood.

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont waste your 100 dollars. It does not work. trust me, ive had several of these spacers on other vehicles. they are designed for stock exhaust to speed up the airflow. if you have a CAI, you are wasting your money!