Tinted Winshields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to tint my winshield but want some info first, for those that have it how'd you do it, whats a good darkness and how do you handle inspection and Title stickers on the winshield with the tint in the way. How do you even pass inpection with it?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang I want to do that so bad, but I just can't bring myself to do it, purely for 2 reasons:
1. I don't like to be a cop magnet; while they may overlook front side tint I can't see them overlooking this.
2. Liability- if you hit something or hurt someone, there goes your chances of fighting the fault (even if it wasn't your fault) once they find tint there. Even if you can see perfectly, some lawyer will (successfully) argue that you can't.

It looks cool but just seems like it's not worth it. If someone ran over a loved one and I found out their windshield was tinted, I would probably suffocate them with window tint.

Something to think about...

chadlewis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had it on all my vehicles, love it..cops dont really care too much over here about it.
The Black one has 5% on the front and the white has 20%...im sure some of you are goin to give me hell about it but i know the consequences. Ive heard it all.
n1209300682_30371240_3929.jpg

n1209300682_30349713_8017.jpg

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far,yeah Iknow the factory winshield and fronts are tinted at 70%(reqd by law in he US) but like Black Dog I really want it because the sun hurts my eyes at times but I'm not gonna get it any darker than 25% because I don't want a State trooper BSing about it, any more people?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Chad, it's so dark it made the paint look lighter than the windshield in the second picture. Oh wait, different Yukon, LOL. I'm not gonna give anyone **** about it, it's your personal choice, not my concern to the extent that you can see my kids crossing the street, which you probably can or you wouldn't do it. After all, we're not communists. Now if you were to make it look like a Pep Boys Special, well then I might try to stop you. It does look really good though.

dirtysouth

Reaction score
i have 50 percent on my front windshield its dark enough not to be able to see in from a couple feet away but your still able to see my hand and things on or close to the dash.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys get your dark tint put on? Or do you do it yourself? The lowest tint that people in town will go is 27.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most tint shop will tint below 27%, they just do so with no reciept and no proof that they personally did it so they're not liable for anything. im actually friends with a tint guy (luckily), so i still get the warrenty. your best bet is to find a small shop and see some of their tint work so you dont end up with dirt under your tint.
as for the front windshield, every tinter i talk to actually recomends it. it actually makes for better vision during the day and at night. typically i would see going around 50%. and if you really want to throw off the cops, put a limo front strip on it. the difference in darkness makes it look less like the entire windshield is tinted.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and responses, as for those who have Title/Inspection stickers on the winshield how do you do it especially in Texas?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About every car in the US had 70% tint on the winshiedl which is very light, but as for Tahoe's strips I'm not sure, I don't think I had a strip on mine before I put a 20% strip on it but i'm not sure.

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in South Carolina, no inspection to pass, my windshield has a 50% tint. It reduces some glare without really darkening my view out the front. It's pretty difficult to even tell if it's on the glass actually. I went with the 3M FX HP-50, it is guaranteed not to peel, bubble, crack, change color or anything else funky.

joetm

Reaction score
if it is the sun your using as the reason to justify this they make these things called sun glasses lol

i do think that it give the car a great look tho

avgabriel

Reaction score
Yeah bro, I agree with joetm... Get some shades!!! LOL!!! I joke, I joke... Got a 3 family members that are cops here in Cali. They all said they probably won't pull you for a tinted windshield, but like Black Dog said, IF something, ANYTHING was to happen and they find that tint on your windshield, some snot nosed lawyer will have your A$$ for it! It does look good though! I'm thinkin about doin it myself!!!

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i had my windows tinted i went ahead and tinted the windshield too and its the best decision ive made... got 15% on sides to match factory and 35% on windshield and its perfect

i can tell a difference over the summer of the car being a slight cooler so thats a plus

as far as registration i dont have to go through inspection.

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 25 on mine and then i put double 5 on top that and i used to park in front of cop cars and they wouldent do anything and florida is known to be fairly strict about tint... then i was driving through miama and a cop pulled me over for having to dark of a license plate cover and didnet even notice the othr tint till he got back in his car, i drove away thinking he was done and he chased me back down and checked me and gave me the old 80 dollar fine... but hey "BEAR" im looking to move to southcarolina at the end of may, should i worry about my tint, double 5 all the way around... i want to know because if they are i have a tint guy here in my town who can redo it for cost and make it look nice and match

Atvkrazy06

Reaction score
chevy hoe---I live in south carolina and have a layer of 27% over all my windows (except windsheild), a layer tof 15% over all of that, and the front two seemed lighter than the back so i had them put 20% on top of the driver and passenger side windows. While having this tint I have gotten a trespassing ticket in the truck and 3 seatbelt tickets from state troopers. None of them have said anything about the tint yet. I just do not recomend tint on the windsheild because they tend to notice that more than the sides. Just to be safe when im driving beside a cop i do roll down my two front windows.