Tire air pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07 LT

Reaction score
The sticker inside my drivers door says to put just 32 psi in the tires yet the tires are rated at 44 psi max. The front tires have a little belly in them at 32 so I have them at about 35. What psi should I be using? Thanks.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should inflate factory tires to the amount stated on the door sticker. 3psi either way isn't going to matter much. You should not inflate to 44, that is just the tires maximum I believe.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, follow the sticker pressure. I also have mine at 35 in fall and winter, because the colder temperatures drop the pressure. I let out air in springtime and summer and will have a tire at 30 before driving, becuase it will increase after driving on the warm pavement.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recommended tire pressure on the sticker is always for when the tires are cold. If you set it to that psi when the tires are warm, it will be too low. And you should run the same psi in the summer and winter. It's just that in the winter you need more air to achieve the same pressure.

The best way to find the best psi for your vehicle is to start at the number recommended on the sticker and then do a chalk test (draw a line of chalk across the tire tread, drive around, and then check that contact patch on the tire covers the entire tread--no more, no less). You should never try to judge the proper psi by how it "looks." Check this out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1

Also, never go to the maximum psi stamped on the tire because it's just a number for the tire and not for your vehicle, It's the tire manufacturer's way of saying if you pump up the tire more than that, they won't be responsible for your safety ;).

There 's some good info about setting the proper psi under different conditions here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=147

Last edited:

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 50 psi in mine to help with gas milage. no problems yet.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50???

The TPMS system will warn you every time a tire is over 44PSI.

I had 47PSI in my aftermarket tires (tireshop inflated them a little too high). It warned me everytime I started up. I let out 1 PSI at a time and it stops warning you below 45PSI. After driving though, when the tires get warmer and the PSI increases, it warns you to check your tire pressure if it goes to 45PSI or higher.

I keep mine at 40PSI cold so that warm only hits 43-44PSI.

Also I agree with you... no problems "yet". At 50PSI you are definitely over-inflated. Do yourself a favor and read some of the links above.

Last edited:

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50 works for me. no tpms issues, no driveability issues.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you keep cold inflating them to 50 psi and then drive a long distance the tire will heat up and the psi will probably go over the manufacturers recommended max pressure. Then your looking at weakening the integrity of the tire and sooner or later your "no problems yet" may change to "oops just had a blowout, lost control and rolled my Tahoe". The specs on the door are there for a reason.

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wear and running the stock 20's with the Brigs. 8,000 miles and no issues.

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus my driving is all highway - 75 mph - 40 mile round trip. Getting an average of 24 mpg.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should give up about 8-10 PSI, as well a an MPG or 2... it's not worth it. If anything you'll end up spending the money you saved on gas, on new treads sooner.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep mine at factory, MPG isn't that big of an issue, especially when it comes down to your safety. Keep running 50PSI, you'll probably be fine, but don't complain if you have a blowout doing 75. Probably won't be bragging about that MPG anymore.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I inflate to 32psi (recommend on door label) but I'm still getting wear on the outside edges. Mainly on the front tires. Factory 22" rims and tires. No adjustments or add-ons.

hamtahoe

Reaction score
Based on my local Bridgestone dealers recommendation, I run 35 psi cold (40 psi when warm), rotate @ 6000 mile intervals and haven''t had any problems. I replaced them with inkind at 80K and could have gone another 15K.