Tire Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I just found this website and it looks great. We have two Tahoes, 08 Z71 and 04 LT. I just had my 04 serviced today when we went to buy my wife her new Z71. A service tech told me my tires needed to be replaced within the next 400 miles. This truck has the 17 inch wheels, original Bridgestont Dueler H/T tires. I only have 30,500 miles on her, we usually drove my wife's old Z71, I was stunned how little life the stock tires had.

I was wondering what kind of tires people on here have and recommend. We generally use this vehicle for trips between Atlanta and Clearwater, it is a 2wd. They recommended Michelin LTX/MS and Goodyear Fortera at my dealership (Team Chevy at Northpoint.) Does anybody have any other opinions for me?

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I let the dealer put Goodyear Fortera's on mine around the same mileage (I think like 34k) but I haven't really liked them. They are fine on the highway, but they are a little loud, I probably should have put some All Terrains on it looking back. They are fine, but I probably wouldn't put them on again. If you're doing mostly highway driving you may want to look more into the Michelin LTX/MS.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting - I put the Fortera 'silent armor' on mine and they are about the quietest tire I've ever had - virtually silent. I put the 'triple tread' on my wife's Highlander and those make a bit more sound, but they are still pretty quiet. I love them - they ride good, look good, handle well and, as I said, are quiet. I had Dueler's on the car before - noisy. I had LTX/MS on a Suburban and liked them, but they were noisier...

Additional note - this Yukon never goes off road......

Last edited:

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have run the Michelin LTX on our 2WD 03 Tahoe for over a year now - though in the 16" variant. They perform really well in the rain and snow, and we didn't notice any drastic changes in sound/ride quality. They're pretty good for normal highway driving - decent braking/emergency lane change performance, etc.

revbco

Reaction score
Interesting - I put the Fortera 'silent armor' on mine and they are about the quietest tire I've ever had - virtually silent. I put the 'triple tread' on my wife's Highlander and those make a bit more sound, but they are still pretty quiet. I love them - they ride good, look good, handle well and, as I said, are quiet. I had Dueler's on the car before - noisy. I had LTX/MS on a Suburban and liked them, but they were noisier...

Additional note - this Yukon never goes off road......

I also have the Fortera "silent armor" on my Denali and I really like them. One of the better tires I have used.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I just found this website and it looks great. We have two Tahoes, 08 Z71 and 04 LT. I just had my 04 serviced today when we went to buy my wife her new Z71. A service tech told me my tires needed to be replaced within the next 400 miles. This truck has the 17 inch wheels, original Bridgestont Dueler H/T tires. I only have 30,500 miles on her, we usually drove my wife's old Z71, I was stunned how little life the stock tires had.

If you're looking for good street tires, then I love my Toyo Proxes ST. I got them last October and only have 2k miles on them but they seem great. The tread pattern is pretty aggressive for street use and it looks awesome and very unique. They're quiet, and they do far better in the rain than than my old Firestone Wilderness tires did. You can't even compare the two for on-road driving.

But prepare to drop the idea if you go offroad. Even the tire guy told me to not even think about putting mine offroad. But I didn't care. This Yukon is 2wd and sees nothing but pavement. But for strictly street use, I wouldn't pick anything else.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pro comp ats, the 265/70/17s should last you well over 50k and they're unstoppable in the snow. BFG tako if you want an aggressive look or some nitto terragrapplers if you wanna stay on the cheap and need something with decent siping.

CJR2

Reaction score
We put BFG Long Trail TAs on my wife's car about 20K ago and have been very happy with them. Quite ride, great handling and good in snow. We don't off road so these are great for our use. Tire wear had been great as well.

Bought them at Sam's Club for a great price, about $ 120 each.