Towing: Ball Mount Drop Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyEye

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!! Long time reader -- first time poster. I have a question about towing:

I towed my 2005 Mastercraft X-2 for the first time yesterday with my 2008 Denali. I used a 3 1/4" drop ball mount and my trailer seemed to sit too high. Do any of you tow a boat with your Denali/Yukon/Tahoes? If so, what size drop do you use on our ball mounts?

Thanks!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tow a 5000k 20ft boat with my yukon xl, mind you this is an 06 with auto ride. i use a 4 and 1/2 inch drop, i think, i need to go out and check for sure.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the new body style you will need a lot more drop.

Measure from ground to the top of tongue when it sits at desired ride height (level) and subtract that from measurement from the ground to the top of the ball on top of hitch.

I have a 6 inch drop and it is not enough. I've heard guys say 8 1/2"

http://www.truckspring.com/measuring_585.html

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a 7.25 inch drop but I need a 10 or 12 drop for my hoe.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a B&W adjustable hitch, you can adjust it through about 10.5 inches (up or down)...it also has a 2" and a 2 5/16" ball on it (and you can also get the 1 7/8" ball if you want that)...best hitch I have ever used, and makes going from the Super Duty to Tahoe to my buddie's lifted Avalanche a breeze! It's rated at 10,000lbs, so would be more than sufficient on any Tahoe or Burb...it allows you to "fine tune" the height to exactly what you need, so is much safer as well, not to mention easier on the tow vehicle...money well spent in my opinion.

It is more expensive, but it will last a lifetime and is also the last hitch you'd probably ever need to buy, no matter the vehicle...and they also offer a model with even more adjustability if you need it (14.5") I paid about $170 for mine, it's awesome. Made right in Kansas also! Most RV dealers carry them, as would most places that carry heavy duty towing supplies...

http://www.turnoverball.com/tow.asp#

slvrbrchyukon

Reaction score
I Believe it really depends on the height of the trailer that you will be towing .. in my case my trailer has tall tires, in this case my drop is only 3.5", and it sits perfect ...

1_770657828l.jpg

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, it does absolutely depend on trailer. If you use the "formula" I posted you will get the drop you NEED.