TPMS issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only saw two threads on this, neither answered my question, so wanted to ask the masses. I rotated my tires this weekend for the first time, and knew about the TPMS re-learn. I read the instructions in the manual, and attempted to do the process. I get the "Re-learn Active" message on the DIC, and the horn honks twice, but then when I go to release or add air (I tried both ways using my compressor), I get nothing?? It says to start with Left Front and go clockwise, and the horn will honk when it detects air being released or added at each position...well, no workie! :confused2:

Just like my Home Link exercises (that turned out futile!), I tried it probably 6-7 times before I got pissed and gave up. It says it may take up to 30 seconds for it to honk, well, I went for like a minute that last time, and the damn tire was down to 10 psi!

So, other than going back to dealer again (just there 2 days last week!), has anyone figured it out? Any special tricks? I've done it word for word out of the manual multiple times, not getting anywhere.

Thanks!

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe was delivered with the silver metal (older style) TPMS valves. I could easily perform the relearn process as outlined in the manual. I had to have a valve replaced and GM only provides the newer black valves. Now during the relearn process my vehicles stops "relearning" when I get to the location with the new sensor.

At first I thought it was because my veh didn't "know" the new sensor but everyone is having the same problem. I have to believe there is a problem with the new sensors.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...mine are the rubber type. I tried it every which way to Sunday, never even got the first one to honk...

Guess I'll make the dreaded call to the dealer, maybe they can do it real quick for me...but I'll believe that when I see it! :rolleyes2:

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped by and they used the tool to complete the process. Took all of 10 minutes in and out the door.