tranny "clunk"... need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darkman104

Reaction score
Looking for a little input from tahoe enthusists. I have the 03 Z71 Tahoe. When I pull off I hear a clunking sound coming from the under carriage. This normaly happens if I'm pulling off from a dead stop. If I'm driving at a speed faster than 30 or so miles an hour, slam on the breaks and hit the excelerator again I also hear the sound (keep in mind, I don't normaly drive my truck hard like that. I did that souly just to trouble shoot if it would still make that clunking sound). I don't hear it at all if I'm at a dead stop and I pull off slowly. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, is this something that can potentialy be fixed with a tranny flush n fill or am I looking at maybe having to have my tranny rebuilt sometime in the near future? :nonod: I did check the fluid and though the levels are good it looks a little discolored. If anyone out there has had this experience please let me know.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Check all your trans and transfer case mounts. The trans will move in an upward direction upon acceleration if a mount is broken or loose. Check u-joints. And check to make sure there is no excessive play in the drive shafts to the rear and front diffs.

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all your trans and transfer case mounts. The trans will move in an upward direction upon acceleration if a mount is broken or loose. Check u-joints. And check to make sure there is no excessive play in the drive shafts to the rear and front diffs.

:iagree:

trooper372

Reaction score
Same Problem

I have a 2000 Tahoe Limited and have had it since it has 18,000 miles on it and it now has 110,000 miles on it and it has done the exact same thing that you are talking about. One mechanic said it was my bearing in the rear end, so I paid him another $250 and it didn't fix it. Email me if you ever figured out the [email protected]

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound from the rear end.....

I have a 1999 chevy tahoe 2wd..... i got like 4 mths ago with 88444 miles on it... im lovin it. However, I have notice a clunking sound from the rear of my tahoe. Up to this moment, I'm still not sure what it might be. From the research i've done, most people say it could be the u-joint and the gear set on the axle. What I also found, and might be a possible explaination, it could also be the a little bit of play where the rear drum sits. I do hear the clunk when i accelerate from a stop. If anyone had a problem like this one and has resolved it, let me know.:cool2:

gillarockus

Reaction score
gm has a bulletin out on that, #99-04-20-002D....my 03 Z71 does it too, check the trans fluid, make sure its full/clean, i actually overfill mine just a hint and its much better, take it to a dealer and ask a service advisor about the bulletin, they call it driveline clunk