transfer case noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have noticed this noise for about a week now. its a wierd ticking/tinny type of noise coming from the transfer case(almost sounds like a creaking noise), heard at slow speeds (5-10 mph). has not affected the drivablilty of the truck, but want to rectify it. i've seen online comments about tailshaft snap ring, but wanted more input before i start pulling this thing apart.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been reading on line about a snap ring in the tailshaft of the transfer case that commonly breaks. anyone experience this? does it cause a noise when it breaks?

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the part i've seen is made by Gilly's. if you do a google search and type in gilly's tranfer case, you'll see this part that replaces the factory spring clip. it's suposedly much stronger than the factory part, which commonly breaks.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally figurted it out, the rear transfer case bearing is making the noise. after removing the rear driveshaft i noticed that the cage that holds the ball bearings together must have broke of, so now all the balls are spinning freely and hitting each other as the spline in the t case turns.
has anyone seen this before? if so have you replace the bearing in one of these?
since this has started i am getting that drop/lift sensation in the rear of the car( some say its the spline need grease issue) wondering if this bearing is the actual cause of that sensation.