UPDATE!!! To Dealership tried to screw me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jigga27

Reaction score
So get this: I just got back from a short military deployment and I have mail from Bank of America saying: Congatulations on your Chevy Tahoe purchase and we will be handling your loan!

Those weasels at Good Chevrolet told me that they would accept my outside financing, but in order to take delivery I would have to sign a purchase agreement with them (for their offer of 9% from B of A... etc.), just in case MY bank (Keesler F.C.U.) did not send them a check. They gave me assurances that they would not send in that purchase agreement and that as long as my bank faxed a Letter of Intent To Buy (which they did) and that they had all my contact info they would wait longer than their customary 3 days. My bank is in Missippi and all the paperwork was done through the mail. When I asked them how long they would wait, they said don't worry about it and that hey had my phone number. I took delivery of the vehicle on April 20th (a Friday night). Now, I have a statement from Bank of America dated April 26th! They waited less than 6 days including the weekend (did not try to contact me...my wife was home) and sent in the purchase agreement I signed. So they now have a check from B of A and a check from my bank for the same vehicle. What a bunch of scammers!! I can't wait till I get that Customer Satisfaction Survey. Better Business Bureau here I come. And any and all forums I can trash them on. I will also be telling my tale to ANY military person on base/post that I can find. I just got home last night (Sunday) and I cant wait til they open in a few hours. I want to see what lies they have to say or what promises they made me that they conveniently forgot. I'll keep yall posted.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way to handle this -- make a call to the dealership principal (the owner, call first to find out from the operator who that person is) and relate what happened to him, be firm and tell him that you will be contacting the state's attorney general (this puts the fear of god into them) if he does not resolve this issue immediately. You will probably get his secretary which is ok too as she will want to handle this before he finds out and works directly for him and loves to exert her power over other dealership employees. Most owners are unaware of some of the dealership personnel tactics.

jigga27

Reaction score
OK, so here's what happened when I called:
At first they pretty much told me that it was my problem. I explained to them that the finance guy led me to believe that they were in no hurry to "cash" my purchase agreement. And that the "Letter Of Intent To Buy" was good enough for them to wait longer. I also explained to them that if they were gonna "cash" the purchase agreement, that it wopuld have been nice to receive a courtesy call first (they didn't even call afterwards). The manager told me that it must be a misunderstanding/miscommunication and that the standard wait time is only 3 days. When I confronted him with the fact that the dealership requested the "Letter Of Intent" from my bank on the 4th day and why would you ask for it on the 4th day (if 3 days was the max). The guy had no answer. I then said I was looking forward to filling out the Customer Satisfaction Survey and that I intended to also call GM Headquarters direct. He said OK and then we hung up. I then got online and e-mailed the dealership these forum posts about this issue. I got a new phone call in 10 minutes with an offer to cancel the Bank of America loan they had and to use my bank. AMAZING!:nonod:

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe them, I would still do everything in my power to make sure no one else gets scammed and warn everyone. If it wasn't for your persistence, they would have succeeded. Greed over customer service never wins. They will lose business because of this, gauranteed

tahoenut07

Reaction score
Screwed?

Sounds like all of you are to blame here.

I used to work in the car business for a long time and this situation happens from time to time.

To awnser you question on why they waited until the 4th business day, in my state the dealership has to only have an approval by the third day. If there was a hang up on paperwork between your bank and the dealership, with or without a letter of intent(that letter has no power, it is only telling a dealer that they will be funding your loan). Some where in the paperwork you will probably find a piece of paper that tells you that you have some type of collateral contract that they can cash if the time limit passes. In this case they did not because of greed, but because of the governing laws where you purchased.

It also sounds like you recieved the call to rectify your problem because the person you were speaking with was not familiar with your situation or simply was not the person you should have been speaking with.

This really doesn't sound like you got or were going to get screwed because the worst case senerio for you would have been that you got the check from your bank and payed off the loan you got with B of A.

You were definatly right in pushing the issue with the dealership that you delt with.

Threatining to give a dealership a bad survey or call the manufacturer only hurts you in this case, assuming that they have the paperwork in order, because if they legally did nothing wrong all your doing is making it harder to get what you want. At my old store, threating either one of those things was like the kiss of death. It would be like someone that you were working with was going to complain to your boss/owner about you regardless of how the situation ends. Once the dealership knows that you are not going to be happy one way or the other they have nothing else to lose by not helping you.

Hope everything works out for you. If not take the next step and call the dealer.

jigga27

Reaction score
Sounds like all of you are to blame here.

I used to work in the car business for a long time and this situation happens from time to time.

To awnser you question on why they waited until the 4th business day, in my state the dealership has to only have an approval by the third day. If there was a hang up on paperwork between your bank and the dealership, with or without a letter of intent(that letter has no power, it is only telling a dealer that they will be funding your loan). Some where in the paperwork you will probably find a piece of paper that tells you that you have some type of collateral contract that they can cash if the time limit passes. In this case they did not because of greed, but because of the governing laws where you purchased.

It also sounds like you recieved the call to rectify your problem because the person you were speaking with was not familiar with your situation or simply was not the person you should have been speaking with.

This really doesn't sound like you got or were going to get screwed because the worst case senerio for you would have been that you got the check from your bank and payed off the loan you got with B of A.

You were definatly right in pushing the issue with the dealership that you delt with.

Threatining to give a dealership a bad survey or call the manufacturer only hurts you in this case, assuming that they have the paperwork in order, because if they legally did nothing wrong all your doing is making it harder to get what you want. At my old store, threating either one of those things was like the kiss of death. It would be like someone that you were working with was going to complain to your boss/owner about you regardless of how the situation ends. Once the dealership knows that you are not going to be happy one way or the other they have nothing else to lose by not helping you.

Hope everything works out for you. If not take the next step and call the dealer.

Once again how my fault? Do u work for them? When I signed the purchase order for their loan (in case I "stole" the truck), I was assured that the customary 3 day wait would not apply in my case. And 3 days after I signed the purchase order and realized that my bank needed more time, I called the dealership. They told me NO PROBLEM, just get my bank to fax a Letter of Intent. Little did I know, that they had already "cashed" my purchase order that same day! Still BOTH our faults?

Anyway after mentioning the survey, I called Bank of America today and my 9.9% loan was paid by the dealership. The dealership relented and will use MY bank's loan check and everything is swell now. And today in the mail, I received my GM Customer Survey. What to do, what to do...... Terrible customer service with results based on not wanting a bad review. Shouldn't have to come to that. What to do.....

tahoenut07

Reaction score
Good Job!

Like I said before, a dealership just can't forget about obeying the law when its convenient for a customer. Look up the Bushing Law and you will see why they have to do that. They break it and they would probably get a bigger fine than you or I make in a year.

No I don't work for them, nor have I in the past. I'm retired now if you must know.

As far as the survey, you should tell them what you think about them. I hate to say it, but I've been on both sides of this problem before, if they took care of you, then you should considered returning the favor. Sounds like your dealership took care of you.If they didn't take care of you, stick it too them.

Personally, I'd let the dealer principal know how you feel in person and bring the survey with you. Good Luck, enjoy the ride!

jigga27

Reaction score
Like I said before, a dealership just can't forget about obeying the law when its convenient for a customer. Look up the Bushing Law and you will see why they have to do that. They break it and they would probably get a bigger fine than you or I make in a year.

No I don't work for them, nor have I in the past. I'm retired now if you must know.

As far as the survey, you should tell them what you think about them. I hate to say it, but I've been on both sides of this problem before, if they took care of you, then you should considered returning the favor. Sounds like your dealership took care of you.If they didn't take care of you, stick it too them.

Personally, I'd let the dealer principal know how you feel in person and bring the survey with you. Good Luck, enjoy the ride!

So, based on what you have read. You think I should go ahead and give them "excellent" marks? They took care of me, but only after mentioning the survey. What would you do? Who's the principal? By the way, I see you live in Moses Lake. You must be tired of seeing me doing assault landings on your airport and low-levels around your town. :)

tahoenut07

Reaction score
Touch and GO!

LOL, Your flying doesn't really bother me that much. I remember when JAL was training out here. That was annoying. A 747 scratching its belly on my roof was never a good thing. I stopped noticing the planes years ago.

The dealer principal is an owner. Typically they are not in the store that often, but the General Sales Manager would be just as good. From your situation, I wouldn't even speak to the people that you did the deal with.

As far as what I think about filling out the survey. I have been on both sides of this situation many times.

I, and this is me, would try to get something from the dealership in good faith. I have never seen a dealership blow off a customer with a survey in hand. I was usually happier with the dealership once they admitted there was a problem and attempted to correct it.

It is totally up to you how you fill out the survey. I wouldn't say give them "Excellent" marks all the way, just be fair. You can always add comments some where on the survey so others see the situation.

If they are willing to go above and beyond to make you happy in light of the problem then I would at least consider giving them something better than a completely horrible survey.

tahoenut07

Reaction score
Touch and GO!

LOL, Your flying doesn't really bother me that much. I remember when JAL was training out here. That was annoying. A 747 scratching its belly on my roof was never a good thing. I stopped noticing the planes years ago.

The dealer principal is an owner. Typically they are not in the store that often, but the General Sales Manager would be just as good. From your situation, I wouldn't even speak to the people that you did the deal with.

As far as what I think about filling out the survey. I have been on both sides of this situation many times.

I, and this is me, would try to get something from the dealership in good faith. I have never seen a dealership blow off a customer with a survey in hand. I was usually happier with the dealership once they admitted there was a problem and attempted to correct it.

It is totally up to you how you fill out the survey. I wouldn't say give them "Excellent" marks all the way, just be fair. You can always add comments some where on the survey so others see the situation.

If they are willing to go above and beyond to make you happy in light of the problem then I would at least consider giving them something better than a completely horrible survey.

Oohrah!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the comments you write will go to the dealer also. Gives you a chance to justify your marks so they know you are not just another crank.

I always comment that Chevy never sends out a survey on what we think of them. So far hasn't helped but makes me feel better. :yesnod: