Upgrade the Bose Sound System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neweagle

Reaction score
Just picked up an 07 Tahoe last weekend. Love It! Now, let the mods begin . . .

I'd like to upgrade the sound system. The Bose system sounds good, but I was expecting more. I'm not looking to rumble down the street and shatter windows, but I still would like more bass and volume.

From what I've read, a quick solution is to replace some of the speakers and the sub. What does everyone recommend?

1) New speakers?

2) Bigger sub?

3) More Powerful amp?

4) All of the above?

I have the nav, so I'm not looking to put in a new head unit. So I know I'm limited to what that can do. But I figured there is something I can do. Thanks!

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate the bose system. I have a 10 year old cherokee who's stock sound system still sounds better than my new tahoe's bose. The bose has poor mid and high range, it is almost nonexistant.
GM needs to dump bose altogether. Bose has inferior products with good marketing.
Go check out the Lexus suvs with the Levinson systems, much nicer sound.

hphansen

Reaction score
I agree with you about the Bose, but not sure about the Levinson. I was looking at purchasing a GS350 and they want like triple the cost of the Bose system. If you are going to spend that money they you should go with after market. I personally really like the Harmon Kardon system in my 5 series.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The levinson is pricey from lexus, but lexus is overpriced in general, including all their options. The LX version of landcruiser is about $30,000 more than a similarly equipped Tahoe. Toyota/Lexus just overprices them and gets the money.
I am really hating the bose, unfortunately if you want the LT3 package you are screwed into getting it. Does GM get bose products for free or something? WHy do they put such a crappy sound system in all their vehicles? There are better systems for less than 1/2 the price. I didn' t think I would hate it so much or I would have told the dealer the bose is a deal breaker for me, replace it with something decent or I'll go elsewhere.

theonlyturkey

Reaction score
I think the bose sounds really clean and crisp My sub should be in thursday I think that might be all it needs it has almost no low end sound

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I have no problem with Bose, aside from the bass could be more powerful. I find it interesting the H3 offers the Boston Acoustics sound system which honestly I think sounds better.
The sound systems are made for the masses unless you are paying major money for a real high end vehicle 60K+ you have to go after market is sound really matters and get ready to pay. For me it isn't that huge a deal and not worth thousands of dollars to get that perfect sound.
Bose isent perfect, but it will do as I like my On star and don't want that screwed up.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bose is very flat. The high and middle is weak. The bass is weak, but that doesn't bother me so much. GM needs to drop bose, there are better systems out there that cost half as much.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I agree the Bose wasn't a deal breaker for me, as it isn't all bad, but we know they could do better, hell I'm just grateful to drive such a fine vehicle as the 07 Tahoe!
I looked at Consumer reports as I wanted an H3 until CR tore apart the H3 and recommended the Tahoe as I like both, but quality is important to me as well that and I really don't off road any more.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really hating the bose, unfortunately if you want the LT3 package you are screwed into getting it. Does GM get bose products for free or something?

GM directed Bose to build the system but then gave them a low ball budget. You get what you pay for. Personally, I think Bose should quit doing this as it really damages their rep.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go into a audio store. Listen to similarly priced bose and yamaha systems. The difference is obvious even to a deaf person. Bose sucks. Even cheaper yamaha systems sound better than pricier bose systems. Bose is a joke among audiophiles for a good reason.
Bose's bad rep comes from reality. Their good marketing(lies) makes them a profitable company.

Eric137

Reaction score
The bose is very flat. The high and middle is weak. The bass is weak, but that doesn't bother me so much. GM needs to drop bose, there are better systems out there that cost half as much.

If the bass, midrange, AND highs are weak, then try turning the whole thing up....you should have ordered your truck with no sound system at all.....did you not test drive the truck???

looking at your other posts, it seems as though you do nothing but complain.....

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Like everything about my truck except the bose. If you want the nav and onstar then you are forced into getting bose.

ehaser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you add a nice alpine or kenwood head unit? I personally didn't get the navigation becuase I figured that I would go aftermarket for 2/3 the price. Plus the preamp is much more clean so the system sounds a little more crisp..However I will tell you that (from my exp.) that if you are listening to sat. radio then it will always sound muffeled.. I've never heard a stock system from sattelite sound good..

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of AMP does the Bose system come with? If the speakers just suck then replacing them should not be that hard. I listened to the Bose system in my moms Envoy and was not impressed, though something was totally missing. But if it is just the speakers that are no good then replacing them should be cake.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate the bose system. I have a 10 year old cherokee who's stock sound system still sounds better than my new tahoe's bose. The bose has poor mid and high range, it is almost nonexistant.
GM needs to dump bose altogether. Bose has inferior products with good marketing.
Go check out the Lexus suvs with the Levinson systems, much nicer sound.

Pul....leese...give me a break.:rolleyes2: Do you have any idea of the option price of the Mark Levinson system? How about comparing apples to apples? With all due respec...(I take that back)..., you have no idea what you're talking about.

neweagle

Reaction score
Found a way to increase the bass in my Bose system . . .

OP here. I found a poor-man's solution to the audio quality of the Bose system. I used a program I have that can modify sound files. Before I burned my MP3s onto a disc, I processed them through the program to amplify the bass and accentuate the high's in the original MP3s. I actually was AMAZED at how much better my MP3s sounded without spending the money on upgrading the system yet.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pul....leese...give me a break.:rolleyes2: Do you have any idea of the option price of the Mark Levinson system? How about comparing apples to apples? With all due respec...(I take that back)..., you have no idea what you're talking about.
Yes I do. The retail price is $3250 and includes:
Lexus DVD voice-activated navigation system, Mark Levinson Audio System with 6-disc CD changer, 240-watt amplifier and 14 Mark Levinson speakers including 1 subwoofer, rear backup camera and Bluetooth.

The tahoe stereo with nav retails for $2250 then add $495 for the bose. A total of $2745. Then add $250 for the backup camera for a total of $2995. About $255 less. In the lexus you get bluetooth, a 6cd changer, and a soundsystem that is good.
I would have gladly paid $250 more to have the levinson system in my tahoe.

Barzten1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you want to change anything with the Bose system you have to change the whole thing. Built in amplifiers with the speakes. Am I wrong?

cshump

Reaction score
The best solution for the Bose system is to replace it all. I know that sounds harsh, but in my many years in car audio you would be wasting time and money trying to make that system sound better. Go to a good high end car audio shop (DO YOUR REASEARCH, BEWARE OF HACK SHOPS) they should be able to design a good system around the factory Nav head unit.