Using the factory XM antenna with Sirius tuner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfpack1298

Reaction score
I have a Sirius ready aftermarket Eclipse Navigation receiver in my 07 Tahoe and I would like to use the factory XM antenna with the Sirius tuner instead of installing a second antenna on the vehicle. I have found several posts on the web where people have used their factory antennas by using an antenna adapter that plugs into the Sirius tuner.

I know that I need the following Sirius equipment to make things work, but I also need an antenna adapter that will allow me plug my factory installed XM antenna into the SC-C1 tuner listed below. I have read that the factory XM antennas are either single or dual lead, but I have no idea which type is installed on the O7 Tahoe's. I have searched around to try and find an adapter, but I haven't had any luck. A lot of the links I found were dead or referenced Ebay sales that have since expired.

Has anyone used their factory XM antenna for their Sirius radio and if so, did you need an adatper for the antenna and where did you get yours if the adapter was required?

Here are the Sirius components that I know I need. The antenna adapter would allow me to eliminate the Sirius roof mounted antenna pictured in the second link below.

Eclipse ECL-SC1 Sirius Satellite Interface:
http://www.eclipse-web.com/acce/ecl-sc1.html

Sirius SC-C1 Unversal SiriusConnect Tuner:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d2ob0sVPNRN/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=607SCC1

Thanks for your help!!

wolfpack1298

Reaction score
$50 bucks for a simple adapter? There has to be something out there cheaper than $50? Are there any other options?

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not a really big expert in radios, electronics, etc, so help me out. So, what you guys are saying is that I can get Sirius into my radio without using another little window mounted receiver? I can get the Sirius subscription and get it to run to my stock headunit with some types of adapters?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not a really big expert in radios, electronics, etc, so help me out. So, what you guys are saying is that I can get Sirius into my radio without using another little window mounted receiver? I can get the Sirius subscription and get it to run to my stock headunit with some types of adapters?

Not yet....there will be something soon for our 07+ Tahoes

He is referring to using his H/U that has Sirius and using the factory XM antenna.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so he is using the little unit that you put on the dash or your window, but using the XM antenna to get the service?

wolfpack1298

Reaction score
Correct....

I have an aftermarket stereo installed that is Sirius ready. I am going to use the factory XM antenna instead of running a second antenna. The Sirius tuner comes with a roof mountable antenna, but it's easier just to use the XM antenna that's already in place.

I just needed an adapter to allow the factory XM antenna to plug into my Sirius tuner. I found a guy who makes them in California for $30 (including shipping).

Xclusive

Reaction score
Correct....

I have an aftermarket stereo installed that is Sirius ready. I am going to use the factory XM antenna instead of running a second antenna. The Sirius tuner comes with a roof mountable antenna, but it's easier just to use the XM antenna that's already in place.

I just needed an adapter to allow the factory XM antenna to plug into my Sirius tuner. I found a guy who makes them in California for $30 (including shipping).

You actually dont need an adapter to do this. If you just remove the outer plastic layer of the antenna it will plug in directly into the sirius unit. All it is, is a clip that holds the plastic on. The factory XM is a single prong antenna too not like the old dual prings from when sat radio 1st came out. From there it should work because the both xm and sirius work on similar bandwidths or freqencies (not sure which one) nowadays.

wolfpack1298

Reaction score
I may try that option if I can fit the Sirius tuner behind the glovebox. I was concerned that I may need some extra cable length if I need to position the Tuner away from where the XM antenna ends.

Thanks for the tip!

wolfpack1298

Reaction score
Just updating everyone.

I have everything installed and it works great. I dropped the glovebox and located the factory XM antenna lead. I removed the plastic cover off the end of the antenna lead and it plugged right into my Sirius Tuner. I tucked the Sirius tuner just behind the factory XM tuner and ran the tuner cable over to the head unit area.

Reception is perfect and I haven't had any issues at all.