Volant Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a Volant Cold Air Intake with the Powercore Filter, which is oil free. You can get them for any Hoe/Yukon in this era.

Pros: The looks are awesome. The lid of the air box has that carbon fiber look to it and the logo looks alot like the Vortec one. It almost looks like the company existed just for these trucks. This will make your engine bay look alot cleaner. Improved throttle response, and definatly better acceleration particularly in the powerband. It really pulls in the air.

Cons: The installation was far worse than either of the intakes that I installed on an '84 Porsche 911 and a '00 BMW 540i. First the directions were terrible. There were two parts that were particularly hard. The first was getting the two included 3-hole rubber gaskets lined up on the inside-and-outside of the airbox so you could create a seal. And next, the rubber grommet where the tubing goes into the throttle body didn't fit over the throttle body. I had to heat up the gromment with a professional heat gun and shrink the tubing that went into the end of it. The worst part is this installation would seem near freakin impossible to do without two people like we did. I'd say you better be prepared to not drive your Hoe/Yukon for a day if you decide to undertake this task.

But now that it's done, I have no regrets. And one other con: no whistle. But that's expected since the filter is enclosed.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pain in the ass but the sealed kits are sweet! I installed my aem in under an hour but I've done about 6 of them and already had a gameplan, seems like reading the instructions twice and laying out all the parts helps me put things together quicker.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow the volant systems have install snags,thats all i hear about those. i'm sticking with the S&B

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Well, the installation above is one person's view and without disrespecting MadMedwyn it might have been a bad kit, wrong year kit, bad day. I know that I put one of these on a Yukon a few years back and it wasn't overly bad. I will admit that things were tight but you don't want to pull in dirty, ambient engine air so all the fittings after the filter need to be very, very snug.

I'm surprised people like the S&B and/or any other kit. The objective is to bring in clean, cold air. When you have an air box or filter of any kind sitting in the engine compartment, it's going to trap more dirty air, require more cleaning and it will pull in more hot air.

The Volant is one of the few systems that utilizes the stock air passage system to pull in the outside air.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I have not seen any information on the GM Performance box, but you have to assume, I may be wrong, that GM is simply re-boxing someone else's unit and putting their stamp on it.

I just finished ordering my Volant from AutoAnything for $302. shipped with the low-maintenance filter. I enjoyed the change in performance and responsiveness with my '99 Yukon so I'm going to do the same with my '06 Tahoe Z71.

After this, I'm going to look at the MAF and throttle body spacer, but am seeking information on whether these two items will and can be used with the Volant. Not all can be.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good point on the GM box i may just head over and get the volant..i currently have the k&n 77 series intake and I hate it since its an oil based filter...

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i saw a post here i believe it was the volant intake and a throttle body spacer not fitting too well. The person said that they had to trim down the fan blades. Thats something I would definitely not want to get into. Keep us posted if you find any info out. I'll try to look for that thread.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
AutoAccessory's tech support stated that they cannot recommend the MAF and/or the throttle body spacer simply because often these items are not made to co-exist. Now, exactly what that means is up for interpretation.

My next email will be to Volant to ask them about the combination of these items and also to Jet since both the MAF and the TB spacer are Jet's.

This is not taking into consideration the space limitations, simply if the parts will co-exist. I'll let everyone know what I hear back.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle body spacers are pointless on these trucks, the intake manifold runners are very long and a gap between the throttle body and intake just creates clearance issues with the fan shroud. I would recommend an HSW throttle body spacer if you're gonna spend the money
plate.jpg

plate-1.jpg

These trucks love a little squeeze.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of people I know have been running 100-200 wet or dry on these trucks for years without issue, tranny is questionable but not if you follow the proper precautions. Theres a guy over on pt.net that has been running a 225 dry shot on his 07 4.8L since he bought it. He now has 7138 miles on the truck and has been through 41 bottles, no problems.