Volant on '06 Z71 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
We all bounce around who does what, if we like it, etc. so here is one more to add to your list.

I just received in my Volant CAI for my '06 Z71 Tahoe 5.3L. I hope to install it this weekend, at lunch if I could!! but more than likely tomorrow or Saturday. After I finish I'll report back on how the install went and then will start monitoring any mpg changes.

With gas here in New Orleans at $3.25 a gallon, anything I can do to help improve my mpg is in my interest as I love my Tahoe and it's not leaving the family!!

bigjherms

Reaction score
Wow $3.25 a gallon! We're at $3.60 per gallon....for 87!

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Actually, that $3.25 a gallon was from my last fill up a few days ago and that was the price I remembered. We are at $3.50 now but also, Louisiana has typically been lower than most of the company since we are a big oil state.

bigjherms

Reaction score
I just heard on the news this morning that some gas stations in San Francisco are at $4.09 a gallon for 87!

Anyway, let us know how the install goes. I hear that there are some installation snags regarding the Volant. Some say the fittings were too tight around the throttle body. Better tight than loose, as I say. I may purchase a Volant too, if all goes well.

Cheers.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I just finished installing the Volant CAI on my 2006 Tahoe Z71 5.3L and I have to say it took me all of about 30 minutes, including disassembly, and it was as easy as it gets, but that was for me. I've done this once before and knew what to expect and therefore had the confidence. Someone doing it for the first time, might be overly worried about the assembly and doing it wrong.

Anyway, the included instructions are terrible, but you can go online to Volant and get specific ones for your vehicle that are far superior. Having reviewed these before getting the Volant, I knew what had to come off and that took about ten minutes. SAVE everything, you just never know.

That said, the air box replaces the battery tray on the ps of the engine area. 5 minute install. The next step was lining up the maf and gasket to the air box and then inside the air box another gasket and the flange for the air filter. Once I knew that the 3 screw pattern was not proportional and you had to line things up a certain way, it went quickly, but that slowed me down. Took about 8 minutes, maybe 10.

The next step was the easiest. Volant givesw you a rubber sleeve that is the transition from the maf, mounted on the air box to the large black tube running back to feed the engine. I slid it on the MAF, pushed on two hose clamps, put the black tube in place, tightened things up and I was done. Maybe 35 minutes.

The only piece that was slightly snug was a rubber gasket that fit on the black tube end and then to the engine. I had to apply a little force to pull it over the black tube, but by no means would I say it was ill fitting.

So, in my opinion, this is a piece of cake, easily accomplished by anyone who is confident with their mechanical ability and has not had too much coffee for that day. In fact, if your in the area, I'll be glad to do yours for you for the price of a Starbucks!

Of course cranking over the engine was the next step and it went without a hitch. I initially didn't notice any big difference in the air sound whereas on my Yukon I could hear it sucking in the air when I punched it. I'll wait to see when I drive how it sounds.

The next step is to go in and reset the gas usage and mileage and see how it all works out.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will report back in a bit. I can tell you that prior to the Volant going on, I was running between 12.7 and 13.0 in city driving.

www.mikecallery.net/volant.htm shows the finished install.

Last edited:

bigjherms

Reaction score
Good to hear mike! Looks awesome too. I'm definitely getting one now! Thanks!

bigboi

Reaction score
Man I remember when I could put $5 in my car and be good for a couple days. Now its $5 and you are good to turn the truck on and maybe get it warmed up......lol...... this gas **** sucks, now its $3.42 for 87 here in hawaii and thats at costco.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Well, I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right decision here.

Assuming that the gas mileage indicator on the Tahoe's display is reasonable accurate, my mileage is dropping significantly.

Prior to the Volant, I was running 12.7 to 13.0 in city driving. Right now, however, it seems to fluctuate wildly. I've been in the range of anywhere between 10.2 and 14.1. It is almost like the prior indication was an average and this indication is an instant, which would make sense, but the description on the dash display does not seem to indicate that.

I decided to fill up, I run 87, and then run the tank and do an average and see where I stand.

One thing I'm wondering, is that I have a Stage 1 Jet chip installed. This chip plugs into computer, on the side, and then the cable plugs into it. I'm wondering if that chip is not designed to understand the increase in air flow from the Volant and might be causing either a) erroneous readings or b) miscalibration and hence, a varied gas mileage?

Any feedback is appreciated. I'll know more after I run the tank, which will be at least next weekend.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Well, it's Tuesday, it's been on since Friday, so I have some observations at this point for those interested.

I do not feel that putting on the Volant is going to improve your mpg. As I drive and simply put my logic, right or wrong, to the test, if I'm taking in more air, likely I'm burning gas a little quicker, plus, you just have this tendency to push a little harder on the accelerator.

My mpg, on my dash display, ran about 12.4 to 12.7 range, whereas now, my last check, it was closer to 12. This is not bad and possibly, I don't know, the engine has to recalibrate the computer over time as it monitors changes.

So, at 10,000 miles a year, if I drop .7 mpg, assuming that is true, at $3.50 a gallon, I'm spending about $160. more a year. How do I feel about that.

I have to tell you, that throughout my entire driving experience the past three days, leading into today, the truck feels so much smoother that I'm willing to pay that price. Would I like to improve my mpg yes, am I still considering other options for that, yes, but this is quite nice.

Now, I did have a K&N filter in the truck prior to this and the truck is at 22,800 miles when I changed over to the Volant so that is your comparison. Overall, however, I now am thinking of running about a month before I decide to throw away all of the old air filter connection gear. By that point, I'll know for sure if this is working out.

I'm still wondering if my Jet chip is causing a positive or negative effect on this so at some point, maybe at 30 days, I'm going to pull the chip for a bit and see how the truck works then. I'm also seriously considering a Borla cat back. I hear you can't go wrong and you don't get sound back in the truck, which is something I definitely want to avoid.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible your Jet chip is contributing to your mileage drop. I put a Volant on my 07 and got a solid 1mpg gain.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I never felt I was getting much, if anything out of the Jet chip and was always disappointed.

I think I'll follow your lead and take it out this weekend, re-fill the tank and see how it goes. It would be funny (not) if after all this time it's been hurting my mileage!

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of feel the same about my PPIII, I was waiting to hear how you did before buying the volant. But I think that I lost MPG with the programmer. But also, how accurate is the info from these trucks? I've reset my mpg counter before and it goes down to like 5 or 6 mpg, i reset it again and it jumps to 60 or 70. eventually it will come back to around 12 or so, but I don't know how much I rely on it.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I used a Hypertech on my '99 Yukon and was very pleased with the performance, but felt that I dropped in mpg so I haven't looked at any programming changes for the '06 Tahoe. I think the Volant will stay and then, maybe the Borla.

I am, as mentioned above, however, going to pull the Jetchip and see if I notice a difference.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep us posted, I'd like to see what difference you find if any.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been a couple days mike, hows the truck running without the chip in there, any mileage difference that you've noticed?

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I had planned to pull the chip either tomorrow or Sunday. Been swamped. I'm then going to fill up and run the week and see how it plays out and report back.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
O.K. I have different threads on this in different areas, but I am trying to bring it back to this main section.

I had installed the Volant this past week and found a small drop in gas mileage of about .7. Not enough to make me re-consider my purchase, though originally when I installed it my indicator bounced around quite a bit.

I speculated that possibly my stage 1 jet chip might be interfering with the Volant, since I'm not with the stock air system and thought about pulling it to see if there was a change.

I pulled it today, and will go fill up tomorrow and then re-measure my mpg over the course of a few days and report back if there is a difference.

Overall though, I am definitely pleased with the Volant. It gives me smoother and slightly quicker accelaration without giving me an difference or increase in front end noise, until I punch it, then you know something is different up front.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I definitely feel now that the Jet chip was interfering with my Volant.

I removed the chip yesterday, filled up this morning and reset my mpg indicators. Wow, big difference.

Prior to the Volant, with the chip, I was running about 12.7 to 12.9. With the Volant and chip, I was running 11.7 to 12.4.

I removed the chip this morning, I'm running the Volant only, I'm running 14.7 to 15.7. Yeah, that much. I'm shocked. Granted, I've been lite on the throttle today, but jeez, I never remember hitting that mark. I was cruising at 50 when it ran up to 15.7, no a/c by the way.

I have to wonder if I want to even do anything else at this point. I was thinking of a Flowmaster 50 series and have to wonder if that might hurt or help.

6liter

Reaction score
At 50 I'm getting between 19 and 20mpg.That,s in a 02 Denali with an atombuster K&N cold air and Magnaflow catback.Just installed the K&N on the weekend so I'm like you still trying to figure out if I've gained or lossed.