Weird Front End Sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vpalisoc

Reaction score
Yesterday I was driving around and heard a weird sound coming from the front end of my Tahoe (drivers side). It sounds like when you were a little kid riding around on your bike with a baseball card in the spokes. I raised the front end with a jack and spun the wheels, no sound. It only happens when I step on the gas and go about 30 to 40 MPH. When I go faster than that I don't hear it, and when I go slower I don't hear it. Let me tell you what I have up front....6" Suspension lift that I've had for about 4 years, Cognito HD Tie Rods and Steering Pitman Arm Support (3 years), Dual Fox Shocks in a hoop up front (3 years) and all's been great until yesterday. I can't seem to find out what the sound is. I recently torqued up the front Torsions about 2 weeks ago to get leveled out. What else am I missing? Everything seems tight and snug. Oh yeah, it's a 2WD LT. Help!!

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
It could be a tire issue or worse case I would assume a hub bearing beginning to crap out on ya.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same exact thing happen and i described the sound the same way (baseball card in spokes thing) lol...if i remember right it was the front u joints. It has been about 6 months or longer, i will be able check my service records later this evening and get back for sure.

vpalisoc

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the response. I've been brainstorming all night trying to figure it out. Please let me know what you find.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front doesn't have u-joints, they are cvs. My guess is your tore a cv boot and it needs to be rebuilt or you have some wear in one of the front unit bearing hub assemblies, my bet is on the latter. 1/2 ton ifs is weak, you did the right thing with the cognito upgrades but you can still have issues with the hubs going out. Here's what you do to check the front hubs:
Jack up one side of the vehicle enough to get a prybar under the tire.
Without removing the lugs apply an upward force on the bottom of the tire.
Watch the balljoints or hub for any amount of play, sometimes helps to have another person watch while you are prying up on the tire. Best of luck.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My initial thought would be the CV's. I don't know that the hub would make a sound like that if it were going out. Try what Boost said and see where it gets you.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry about the misinfo on the u joints. It has been awhile since I had this problem and I have had problems with both my front and rear diff so i must have had the diagnosis mixed up, and I am pretty much a mechanical idiot so I wasn't aware it was U joints in the back and CV up front (learn something every day). I will go ahead and post up exactly what the dealer said the problem was when i had it in for that issue.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, just dug out the old service report from the Chevy dealership and it states in tech notes and jobs performed.. "verified noise found to be coming from seized front propshaft rear ujoint. replaced front propshaft ujoint. noise no longer present"

and like i had said before the sound was just as you had described it so that may be a good starting point. looks like the part was $122.80 and labor was $200, of course that is from the stealership.