What brand Starters??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im upgrading my starter on my hoe and i was seeing if anyone has ever done this and what brand did you buy and how was it.. ive changed starters before and i know how to do it, im just worried bcuz on summit theres like 100 different kinds.. http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...6+115&Ntt=&Ntk=&Ns=P_Rank|0&rsview=prod#rstop
i dont want a OEM replacement starter, i want a good high quality one. The one my truck has now has a strong whine to it when cranking. At first i had no shims, then 1 now 2 and still the same noise. im not sure what the problem is, so im gunna buy a new one.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but let me re-assure you there is good reason that the starter you have now has made it 13yrs w/ out failing you (oem)

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just slapped a napa premium with lifetime warranty on mine. starts like a dream every time :)

No shims here.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, we dont get to many questions about upgrading starters.. so thats kinda cool in a way,.
I looked over that list and the Meziere looked really neat if you were going to do engine work and increase compression, etc. but maybe for regular use, maybe the powermaster mastertorque one.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well to yukalade- i figured if im going to replace mine, why not get a better stronger one. idk thats the way i see it. i mean unless someone on here can tell me why my starter is acting like a hoe bag.. lol.. its just real whinny and has a hollow sound to it, it starts up don't get my wrong, its just i hate to hear that noise.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its the original its probably about to croak. mine whined like a bitch and then finally took a crap on a morning i was already running late for work.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sucks, yea i figured before it dies too. so u like your napa one?? would u buy another one of theirs or anythign??

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good question...I have also wondered if there was a difference between starters.