When to use 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KillerStudio

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question but I just purchased an 08' 4x4 tahoe but I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle before. I just wanted to know when am I supposed to use the 4x4 feature other than for snow. When do I use 4x4 Auto, hi, or lo? Is there a speed limit to 4x4 hi? I tried using the 4x4 hi going to Reno this weekend going uphill but didn't notice any differences to 2wd. Someone teach me something new.

Thanks in advance!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****NEVER USE 4HI OR 4LO ON DRY PAVEMENT****

what i do is use AUTO in rain, or slippery conditions.

4HI in ice or deep snow.

4 LO when in water or deep mud.

i use auto 4x4 also in sand. i only use 4HI in deep stuff. never needed 4Lo in sand before.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****NEVER USE 4HI OR 4LO ON DRY PAVEMENT****

what i do is use AUTO in rain, or slippery conditions.

4HI in ice or deep snow.

4 LO when in water or deep mud.

i use auto 4x4 also in sand. i only use 4HI in deep stuff. never needed 4Lo in sand before.

Be careful using 4Hi in deep stuff...that could be how you burned up your transmission...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful using 4Hi in deep stuff...that could be how you burned up your transmission...

Shoot really? wouldnt the trans axle blow first. i changed all the fluids right after i got back and there was no sand and the fluid looks great.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot really? wouldnt the trans axle blow first. i changed all the fluids right after i got back and there was no sand and the fluid looks great.

Yea, doing that will create a LOT of heat in the trans - which is an automatic transmission #1 worst enemy. If your not going to be going fast, there is no reason to not be in Low.I always use Low in a situation like that. Trust me, your transmission will thank you if you start using low!

KillerStudio

Reaction score
Why is it bad to use 4 Hi on dry pavement? I was testing my 4 hi to go to reno this weekend on dry pavement going uphill....did I mess up something?

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Why is it bad to use 4 Hi on dry pavement? I was testing my 4 hi to go to reno this weekend on dry pavement going uphill....did I mess up something?

Because 4HI locks up the two drive shafts front and rear through the transfer case, in this mode you need some slippage in the way of a loose surface gravel ,sand , ice, snow, mud etc. What will happen is the lack of slippage will over stress the drive train and break something in the transfer case, use auto mode for pavement as it opens up the transfer case where the front and rear drive shafts though powered, turn at different speeds.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 wheel drive isn't going to save you on ice period. May help a tad bit...but if you slidind on ice...well your sliding on ice..snow yeah, 4 wheel drive will help but not on ice...learned this from experience :D

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can drive it on dry pavement...it's not like your tahoe is gunna know if theres snow or sand on the road and decide well lets just break something lol...just wouldnt do it a lot and wouldnt go over 40 mph in it either..friend of mine raced a guy in 4lo in his turbo charged Z71 Silverado...lol, not very smart, but definetely entertaining...

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can drive it on dry pavement...it's not like your tahoe is gunna know if theres snow or sand on the road and decide well lets just break something lol...just wouldnt do it a lot and wouldnt go over 40 mph in it either..friend of mine raced a guy in 4lo in his turbo charged Z71 Silverado...lol, not very smart, but definetely entertaining...

Yea especially if you see the drive train self destructing.:eek2:

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actully prefer 2wd on ice. if your experenced enough its actully easier to recover from a slip and keep going strait. 4wd throws that off. i will use 4wd to get going but once im going i will shift out. but i have not had to do that much since we got .5" of snow this year.

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but the difference between 4WD Auto and 4WD is that the auto puts the power where there is traction, shiftin between front and rear and maybe even side to side. In straight 4WD, all 4 wheels turn at the same rate, therefore making turning difficult and stressing the tranny. Hence the warning about not using 4WD on dry pavement.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but the difference between 4WD Auto and 4WD is that the auto puts the power where there is traction, shiftin between front and rear and maybe even side to side. In straight 4WD, all 4 wheels turn at the same rate, therefore making turning difficult and stressing the tranny. Hence the warning about not using 4WD on dry pavement.

actully all auto 4wd does it activate all 4 wheels for a second or 2 if it senses ther rear wheels slip.

using 4wd on dry pavement will also cause gear binding. whis is VERY BAD.

KillerStudio

Reaction score
Does this "Autotrac transfer case" feature allow me to drive 4wd on dry pavement?

"GM's full-time Autotrac 4-wheel drive that can be left engaged on dry pavement and includes a low-range gear for off-roading"

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this "Autotrac transfer case" feature allow me to drive 4wd on dry pavement?

"GM's full-time Autotrac 4-wheel drive that can be left engaged on dry pavement and includes a low-range gear for off-roading"

In auto mode you can drive on dry pavement as it is open and sends traction to a slipping wheel if needed, but it burns more fuel.