Where's the Horsepower? Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy007

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2010 Tahoe (62k) after having an 04 Tahoe for many years. Absolutely love these trucks. Anyway, after purchasing the truck I noticed that this truck doesn't seem to have much power. Specifically, when I am at around 1,500 RPM...Not that I'm expecting much in that range, but if I just tap the gas instead of of the RPM's going up to give me power it seems to drop down to about 1000 RPM, and feels like it shifts into the next gear. If you have ever driven a manual, it basically feels like you're in second gear going about 20mph, and it shifts into 5th gear for example. There's no power and kind of has a slight shake to it. My other Tahoe when you gave it gas you could feel it. Also, I can feel it vibrate at a stop. Are these symptoms normal? Can I do anything about them? Is this supposed to be a fuel saver?

After feels this I bought and installed the Airraid MIT, and that hasn't made anything better.

Any and all help,would be appreciated.

canakin

Reaction score
That is a tough one. Engines are engineered for emissions, efficiency, and in third place is power. The cyclinder deactivation does cause some vibration under light acceleration, but it immediately kicks out of that as soon as it really knows you want to get going. See if you notice a difference when it is in manual trans selection mode (I believe this disables the cylinder deactivation). The next thing I would do is to give it a complete "tune up". Replace those maintenance items associated with air, fuel, and spark. A bottle of fuel injector cleaner wouldn't hurt either. Good luck.