Which muffler to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the stock diameter of our exhaust pipes? Im going to order either a flowmaster or magnaflow and jsut install it myself but dont know what the diameter of the tubing is...anyone know?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know for the 07 Gen Tahoes its 2.75", but I'm not sure what it is for your Gen, it should be 3" or 2.75".

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my stock 03, it has a 3" into the muffler, then dual 2.5" out, back into a 3" exit...

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you switch to dual? I saw your video on youtube and thought you just used the stock piping and replaced the muffler?

I used the stock piping and cut out the old muff bolted the new to the pipe coming from the headers and used 2 extentions to bolt to the tail pipe. With out the extensions the muffler outs werent as wide as the tailpipe in's...i'll snap some pics and post um up.

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics

This is where the muffler connects to the main pipe coming from the cats.
2vbx311.jpg

Then The Muffler.
x2qrv6.jpg

Then the muffler outs into 2 extensions.
2ylmsub.jpg

Then the extensions into the tail pipe. I stayed with the stock tailpipe so i could get a dual out muffler so if i ever want to dual it out both sides.
osqxqo.jpg

BigT

Reaction score
Sh*t i cant get this damn pic uploading thing down. But there it is. I did this all in my driveway, on jackstands. Im 16 and had know f*ckn idea what i was doin...so you should be able to do it...
Heres the best price i found and it has free shipping!
http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-Exhaust-12198-Muffler-Center/dp/B000CCFIYO/ref=pd_ys_iyr9

How does that muffler sound on your Tahoe? I have the larger case Magnaflow (#12588) on my 04 Tahoe Z71 and it is too quite. I am looking to get a smaller Magnaflow and like the idea of the 14 inch case like you have. Is it too loud or does it have too much drone in your opinion? I am looking at the 14 inch or the 18 inch case.

BigT

Reaction score
Hey, that sounds real good. I think the 18 inch may be too quite. As long as it is not too loud in the cabin I believe I will go with the 14 inch case. Thanks for the info.