Whining noise located!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbecker63

Reaction score
Original post a few weeks ago:

Hello and thanks for having me! Driving an 04 Tahoe with a low pitch whine or hum. Began about six weeks ago without change in performance or MPG. The noise is heard at low speed and in park as soon as the engine is started. Sounds like it maybe coming from the front of the engine. Doesn’t change with RPM increase. Mileage is about 156,000.

Any ideas??

Thank you
Dave

Solution and please read if you ever have a similar noise:

The source of my strange whining noise was located today. I’m posting a few things I didn’t know so no one else wastes the large amount of time I did.

The serpentine belt does NOT drive the A/C compressor in the 04 Tahoe. There is a
shorter belt that only drives the compressor. This belt stays tight by having its own tensioner pulley.

I removed this belt once discovered, spun the tensioner pulley, and discovered a grinding noise. At last - the source of the whine is discovered!

I also checked to be sure the A/C clutch and bearing were tight, spun freely, and didn’t produce noises.

The A/C belt was removed from the system and the engine started. Finally, the whining that has haunted my Tahoe was gone.

New parts from Rock Auto - $40.