WIndshield Wiper Moisture Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please help!! I just had my windshield replaced and now the sensor for my wipers is not registering moisture. I was able to unplug and replug the harness in on the windshield and the wipers did a pass, which means the wipers and that module is working but when i pour water over the sensor on the outside they don't pass. Any idea on whether or not I have to reprogram that module or is there some moisture sensor that needs to be replaced or something? Thanks in advance.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I have seen mine work automatically was the one time I took it to the car wash.......thats it!!!
I sometimes wonder if there is somethinmg else I need to know to get them to work.

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the wipers need to be set to the "On" position, which I have confirmed. The higher the setting the more more sensitive the sensor is to moisture, but my sensor is not responding to any moisture. Someone on a different board actually referenced some infrared sensors that beam across the windshield...not sure I even know about those.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does this happen when the car is on or off then you turn it on? cause i found out that if its raining and i turn my car on, they wont work. but if i twist the controls one click to get em going then they work fine... just a thought - if no help i would talk to the dealer

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does this happen when the car is on or off then you turn it on? cause i found out that if its raining and i turn my car on, they wont work. but if i twist the controls one click to get em going then they work fine... just a thought - if no help i would talk to the dealer

I know what you're saying but that's not it, thanks though. I have an appt with the dealer Wed morning to try and find out what's going on. Hopefully this will be covered under warranty even though I didn't get the windshield replaced by the dealer.

White Out

Reaction score
Also interested in what the dealer said.

The auto wipers on my dad's truck do not respond to what is going on accumulation wise reguardless of where the stalk is set at (unless constant on). It is very annoying to deal with. Looking to see if there is an adjustment.

Nick

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the windshield has weight/pressure sensors built in. Mine work all the time, almost to the point to where its annoying. Mine works with front on the windshield

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the windshield has weight/pressure sensors built in. Mine work all the time, almost to the point to where its annoying. Mine works with front on the windshield

The moisture sensor is mounted on the inside of the windshield up behind the rear view mirror. It senses the change in refraction when water is on it.

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know where the sensor is, but i also think there are sensors in or under the glass. I know that is how mercedes does theirs. Look at how the windshield meet with the top hood. there is no weather stripping at all, it sets in a special channel.

White Out

Reaction score
The moisture sensor is mounted on the inside of the windshield up behind the rear view mirror. It senses the change in refraction when water is on it.

Thanks for letting me know the location. Is there a way to adjust it?

Nick

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know the location. Is there a way to adjust it?

Nick

Not that I'm aware of but the one on my '02 TrailBlazer had a gel-like substance between the sensor and the inside of the windshield which I thought might be to provide optical coupling to the sensor. Have the dealer make sure they got it on correctly.

Edit: Just found this on another forum.

"The only bulletin out there is telling the techs that the sensor is separate from the lens on the windshield. Although there is a little tidbit of info that might help you......

If you do NOT find a fault in the system operation, please refer customers to Rainsense™ II Wipers in the Owner Manual for information for this system.

If you do confirm a fault in the system operation, inspect the uniformity of the silicon gel linking the sensor to the windshield.
If the silicon gel is distorted in any way or is not present at all, replace the lens only. Refer to Windshield Outside Moisture Sensor Lens Replacement in SI.
If the gel is intact, replace the complete sensor assembly by referring to windshield outside moisture sensor replacement listed below.

If you can see that the gel is distorted, it might give you some ammo when going into the dealer to get them to do something for you."

Last edited: