Yokon power outlet/power inverter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Herb

Reaction score
I have an 03 Yukon and it has a power outlet in the rear on the passenger side. I have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (copd) and use an oxygen generator to get more oxygen. This unit is 110v 385watts, 4.1 amps. I talked to the local GMC dealer's rep about using a 400/1000 watt power inverter in the Yukon to power this unit. He told me that the outlet is rated at 20 amps and it should work ok. I'll be heading to CA from Utah for Thanksgiving and want to use it to help keep me alert while I'm driving.
For some reason I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this, 385 watts seems like a lot to plug into a power outlet. Does anyone have some information about using one of these power inverters from personal experience, this is my first one. No, I won't be striking any matches in there with pure oxygen going up my nose. Thanks, Herb

Jeremy_K

Reaction score
I used one to charge my video camera and spotlight on a long trip and had no issues. I'm sure those are much lower wattage though. The worst it can do is pop a fuse I would think

Herb

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jeremy, I'm going to find out, we leave for CA tomorrow morning, and you're right, probably all that will happen is that it will blow a fuse.
If I don't forget I'll post the result here in case someone else has a similar question.

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late to get anything for your trip now, but for the future, at least a couple of companies, Airsep and Inogen, make oxygen concentrators that work off 12 volt cigarette lighter plugs. They are designed for airline use (of course the airlines won't let you plug them in; you have to use the battery power--makes no sense at all) but they are ideal for use in the car. The nice thing about them is you can unplug and go with battery power when you stop for lunch or whatever.

The bad news is they are pretty pricey, but on the other hand, being able to breathe is a good thing.

rodneyinniss

Reaction score
reply to herb

Hey Herb,I have a 2001xl and I installed a 1000watt power inverter,It has a battery low voltage sensor so it shuts down when it detects the battery voltage is too low for vehicle operation,I have run a 800watt microwave with this thing and it works fine , so i dont think you should have any problems with 385 watts..