0 W 30 Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamtahoe

Reaction score
I have used Mobil 1 5 W 30 Syn oil in my 07 tahoe since new. However I,ve found that many oil change shops are having difficulty getting the 5W 30 and are swtiching to Mobil 1 0W 30, a more MPG freindly grade according to Mobil Oil Tech Center. Anyone of you out there chaged to the 0W grade with any notable difference?

Thanks
Henry

hamtahoe

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and had my oil changed today w/ 0W 30. I'll post any + or - changes I see.
I spent some time researching this issue with Mobil 1 tech center and am courious to see the results, specifically + MPG.

Thanks
Henry

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be sure to report back if you dont mind

i have always thought that this was just a promotional hype

honestly it kinda scares me to run that light of oil but i really dont know

iscslt

Reaction score
You might want to visit the web site by Bobtheoilguy.com as he has some very valuble data, I now used the 0W 30W Castrol oil in my 540i-M sport but only the red seal version as it is the only one produced in Germany and has a higher shear /stress grade rating. As a foot note the 0w rating of the German Castrol is somewhat conservative and will more than likley satisfy your needs but I would encourage you to have a read as some interesting data has been compiled.
Cheers Ian

hamtahoe

Reaction score
Actually the lubricating properties are unchanged from the 5W 30, according to the tech center. Its reported to increase fuel economy @ 0W viscosity and maintains that economy thru 30 weight when the oil reaches operating temp.

Thanks
Henry

glpd74

Reaction score
Don't want to sound stupid but with running that light of oil what does that do to factory warranty.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine fails and they know you're using the wrong weight oil, you'll probably be paying for the repairs.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lighter synthetic is actually more benificial for the engine at start up. It requires less time for the oil to circulate than a heavier oil. I've seen this fight on many forums. It should not void your warranty. When in doubt, call GM. :thumbsup: I use 5W30 Mobil1, but I do my own oil changes too.

OH! And you will not see anything noticable in mpg, sorry.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The potential fractional increase in MPG isn't worth the potential risks IMHO.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The potential fractional increase in MPG isn't worth the potential risks IMHO.

Cost should be taken into consideration as well. Wifey's Lexus and my Yukon get synthetic. My wheeler gets 10/40 dino juice. It's got 262,000 miles on it and synthetic just leaks out. :) Personally, I think she is just marking her territory on the rocks. :cool:

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 0- 30 is actually better. The 0 means on cold start up the oil will move through the engine better as Lvyukyu stated above. If it moves better cold it reduces engine wear. At operating temp the oil is exactly the same because the last number 30 is still the same.

oregonstormwatcher

Reaction score
0-30 Synthetic is 30wt. base stock with a low temp. pour point (pumps easy at start up), this is why synthetics were developed in the first place. Germany fighting in Russia in WWII had lots of problems in winter with their equipment.

knuckle47

Reaction score
Hi... and glad to be here

We just acquired out 2010 Tahoe after running 255,000+ miles on our 2002 Suburban. Love the vehicle. I have been a synthetic oil user for a decade and have tried to research numerous forums regarding oils. Use them in vintage restored motorcycles, and an old boat with 454 Crusaders. I can only report back that synthetics kept our Suburban running perfectly for those big miles and had it not gotten totaled, I would still be free of car payments. I has cleaned out the crankcases of the 1992 boat engines (mobil1 20W-50), and one of the un-restored 73 year old motorcycles prior to dissembly.

As mentioned, there are HUGE debates all over the web regarding these oils and for me it has all boiled down to my own experiences. I can't say that over the last 35 years Chevrolet has been "fair" with us on warranty terms. They are strictly by the book especially when they send their " rep " to investigate the complaint. Loop holes live everywhere and it is easy to get hung in one of them. Follow the recommendation of the book....you can' t lose that way.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I figured synthetics couldn't be all that bad since Corvettes have come from the factory w/ Mobil 1 since the early 90s.