03 Z71 with a bad rear dvd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOBX

Reaction score
So I was talking to a guy that does some great custom work here in town and he told me that if I replace just my head unit, my DVD player and center console audio controls would not work. The DVD player is already going bad and I want to put in a bigger and better unit. I would also like to replace the stock HU with a double din navi unit.

I guess my question is, is there any way to make the stock back seat audio controls work with whatever I get? Is there a particular combination of HU and DVD player that will work best together? I want it all to work just like stock stuff does.

clkelley

Reaction score
Good question, I have NO idea on that one...lol But we have members that would know, so consider this a free bump to the top of the new posts for the other members to see...

SOBX

Reaction score
I appreciate it. Some answers would be nice and noone around here seems to know definitavely. I think I have gotten 10 different answers to the same question lol.

clkelley

Reaction score
What answers did you receive? I don't see them here.

Also: please forgive the delay in a response, we have guys around here that CAN and WILL answer your questions, but this is not a job for most of them, they attempt to help as much as they can and when timing allows them to.

SOBX

Reaction score
The answers I have gotten so far are that the aftermarket DVD will work with the stock head unit or that it will only work if I replace the head unit with it.

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello SOBX, welcome to the forum. I am not sure exactly how the wiring is set up in the 03 z71. But, the stock DVD player and stock center console should work the same no matter what head unit you are running. They just need to be wired in correctly.

For instance all electronics need to have a power and a ground. They also need a wire to transmit a signal to tell them what to do and when. For instance, the DVD player would need an audio, video, power, ground and a remote (the remote is a wired into anything keyed to the ignition... thus acting as a switch so you don't drain power from your battery when the car is not on). So, if your DVD playing has the correct outputs than all you need to do is make sure that the new head unit has those inputs. You can do this rather simply by removing the unit and looking at the back of them. If it is not clearly labeled on the back, take a sku # off of the back of the DVD player or control unit and check out the features on line.

If you are thinking this is a project you want to tackle on your own, I would love to help you out as much as I can. But, if you are still thinking you are going to take this into the guy for custom work, I would ask him for more information as to why this does not work. He could be saying that for many reasons, wants to sell you more products, has had troubles wiring factory DVD players to aftermarket head units on prior vehicles or different models and assumes the same to be true with this. He might already know what inputs and outputs all of these systems have and know that it would require highly labor intensive fix which might just be more cost effective to buy new and not worry about how the old stuff will integrate.

As always I am more than happy to answer any questions.

SOBX

Reaction score
Hello SOBX, welcome to the forum. I am not sure exactly how the wiring is set up in the 03 z71. But, the stock DVD player and stock center console should work the same no matter what head unit you are running. They just need to be wired in correctly.

For instance all electronics need to have a power and a ground. They also need a wire to transmit a signal to tell them what to do and when. For instance, the DVD player would need an audio, video, power, ground and a remote (the remote is a wired into anything keyed to the ignition... thus acting as a switch so you don't drain power from your battery when the car is not on). So, if your DVD playing has the correct outputs than all you need to do is make sure that the new head unit has those inputs. You can do this rather simply by removing the unit and looking at the back of them. If it is not clearly labeled on the back, take a sku # off of the back of the DVD player or control unit and check out the features on line.

If you are thinking this is a project you want to tackle on your own, I would love to help you out as much as I can. But, if you are still thinking you are going to take this into the guy for custom work, I would ask him for more information as to why this does not work. He could be saying that for many reasons, wants to sell you more products, has had troubles wiring factory DVD players to aftermarket head units on prior vehicles or different models and assumes the same to be true with this. He might already know what inputs and outputs all of these systems have and know that it would require highly labor intensive fix which might just be more cost effective to buy new and not worry about how the old stuff will integrate.

Wow, thanks bro! I was actually there to see if he could install a cb in the console under the radio and we got to talking about some noises I heard from the DVD player and some nasty looking head unit controls. I will make sure I take all of your input into consideration and ask many more questions.

I am good with wiring (aircraft electrician/avionics) but have zero experience with DVD units and what-not lol

clkelley

Reaction score
Now that is some detailed tech info right there. Thank you for sharing and helping him get worked out!!!
:peace:

coopepor

Reaction score

For instance all electronics need to have a power and a ground. They also need a wire to transmit a signal to tell them what to do and when. For instance, the cheap car DVD player would need an audio, video, power, ground and a remote (the remote is a wired into anything keyed to the ignition... thus acting as a switch so you don't drain power from your battery when the car is not on). So, if your DVD playing has the correct outputs than all you need to do is make sure that the new head unit has those inputs. You can do this rather simply by removing the unit and looking at the back of them. If it is not clearly labeled on the back, take a sku # off of the back of the DVD player or control unit and check out the features on line.

Yeah, well done, my friend.
I prepare to replace my dvd player, and i need the advice, more info?