04 Police Tahoe audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyBob69

Reaction score
Our dept has an 04 Tahoe that has just the AM/FM Clock stereo. We went through a spell that something was draining the battery and had to constantly jump start it. Well we got that fixed and during the many jumps, the stereo USED to flash the security numbers. Now it doesn't power up or show anything on the display. OK...Fried the stereo...all fuses are good.

We picked up an aftermarket head unit and I was going to install it until I was told that I need some $150 harness to relocate the factory unit due to some data retention feature that was implemented back on 02.
WTH?! The new stereo is only $75!

So my question...is this true or can I just cut the plug and wire in the aftermarket unit?
If I can't..then is there somewhere I can get a replacement? I checked about 6 salvage ysrds in the area and none have a factory replacement. The dealer want $250 for a refurbished unit.
This is a base model Tahoe and the stereo is just AM/FM clock. No CD or cassette. I was told by a local shop that if I replace it...it MUST be from the same make, model year and trim package or it could fry the vehicle's computer.

This is a small town so spending alot of $$ is out.
Thoughts...recommendations....advice?

Thanks all!

01 suburban ls

Reaction score
You need a $40 module to install the new stereo. Unless you dont mind loosing the chime sounds and RAP (retained accessory power), then you can wire it up like an other stereo.

Either way, you dont have to relocate the relocate the factory radio.

BillyBob69

Reaction score
When you say " retained accessory power".... do you mean memory power for the factory stereo or for something else?
The "dinger" is already disabled as we don't like it sounding off when getting in and out.

So can I just cut the factory plug , (speakers only), and connect my own 12v switched and constant?

Signpost

Reaction score
I believe the retained acc power is when you shut the vehicle off, the radio stays on until you open a door. That said I just cut and spliced wires in my 02 and the RAP still works because the wire is supplied power by a switch that is not located in the radio itself. Not sure if your 04 would be any different.

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 5

clkelley

Reaction score
Honestly, if you are still working on this, or if someone else runs into this, you should be able to get a wiring harness adaptor at Wally world, Advance auto, or Auto zoe to make it work. If not, cut the harness and tap into it, just make sure you solder and heat shrink the wiring together to avoid future issues.