05 Z71 intermetant starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZG05HOE

Reaction score
ok so ive scowerd the internet lookin for answers , 05 z71 177k miles has run great for the year ive owned it . left work thursday afternoon with fuel light on , stopped got gas and drove home . parked for the night and got up at 6am to go to work truck would crank and crank and crank but not start , no check engine light , so after 100$ tow bill to my normal shop of choice they tested fuel pressure and it was fine plugged it into a computer and it didnt give any codes, they tried it wouldnt start, called for a progress report and they said they got it to start once but not a second time so they left it over the weekend. called monday and they had gotten it to fire up every time, so i payed 80 bucks for the diognostic fee and drove the truck to sc for work on tuesday thinking it was fine . wed morning go to start the truck and its the same old song and dance , cranks but wont start. come back that afternoon disconnect battery and wiggle some fuses and **** (frustration growing)and slam the key into the ignition and "short start it" and it fires up. this continues basically all week on about a two day interval , it has a good day or two then wont start. as far as i can tell its got spark and fuel each time it wont start , it did have a check engine light on one of the times but then it fired up and after a few miles the light went off . not feeling like dumping money to fix something im still paying for but i need it to work . ive seen something about a ground wire on or near the fuel rail that could be going bad ,havent had a chance to check ,also a small plug in style connection on the ignition under the steering coloum shroud that could be loose, also the other night with the truck running and back hatch open the lights seemed to be slightly pulsing and the electrical gage was bouncing slightly. this makes me think all my problems are stemming from something with the grounding also. any help is appreciated, thanks from a new member

ZG05HOE

Reaction score
truck ran fine yesterday and i borrowed a mac tools scanner , po 0335 cade came up crakshaft position sensor a circuit malfunction , truck started fine though. went to start it this morning and it wouldt start again , short started as in above post and it worked , could this be a combination of issues ?

ZG05HOE

Reaction score
FIXED !

So i went to auto zone and purchased a replacement sensor , 56$ after taxes fairly simple replacement dropped starter and plug in new sensor . the starter was a tight fit but i got it .figured id fire it up to try it out and it was awful sounding , no timing whatsoever. took it to a shop and it ended up being a bad out of the box sensor ,moral of the story buy the more expensive part