05Tahoe-Lft Rear Axle chatter while turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leathernek

Reaction score
While making a left hand turn on uneven pavement in freezing weather
on two occasions I've gotten rear axle "chatter" - it's almost like the rear end did not want to enage - felt and sounded like I had a flat tire...weird - first time it happened I pulled over and had it towed to a Chevy dealer - they plugged it in and checked it for fault codes..nothing...a thorough visual inspection on the rack revealed nothing! second time I stopped and sat for a second and then drove on as normal..

The only thing "wrong" is that the low tire pressure indicator light comes on...but it goes out after driving for a few minutes - I've verified that all four tires have the correct pressure.

Looking for ideas folks....

goat364

Reaction score
If you have a locking rear differential it sounds like its crapping out on you. Check your glove box for RPO code "G80" if you're unsure if you have one. Its on the silver sticker inside the door.

Leathernek

Reaction score
Yeah I totally messed up

Kinda funny that you are from Edmonds, WA as this whole crazy expensive episode with our Tahoe started in Perrinville! It ended up being a big nail in the tire - Yes I of course should have seen it as well as the local Chev Dealership really should have seen it as well....especially considering the fact that I paid 156 dollars for a "thorough inspection/oil change/computer based check of the vehicle" - (I won't say which dealership it was but if you are curious they are located at 170th and Aurora)

In the end I got my Tahoe back home to Bremerton and did not drive it for two weeks...I found the nail while putting air in - drove it up to Discount Tire and asked them to repair it...check the TPMS system and ensure that each tire was filled to spec with air...they had it done in 40 minutes and didn't charge me a dime :)

This was an expensive mistake but alls well that ends well

Attachments

• IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2