06 Tahoe 5W4 Upgrade Questions/Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harrison256

Reaction score
Sooo.. I just purchased a 2006 Tahoe 5W4 on the cheap out of DC (Hasn't arrived yet). Its an odd mix, it has a Z71 Chassis, the 5W4 Special Service package, and the Z81 trailer package.

Anyways, I'm planning on swapping a full size center console into it, leather skins for the seats, and carpets (has rubber floors right now)

I have ALOT of questions so bear with me guys,

Console-

03 06 Avalanche Suburban Yukon Tahoe Silverado Center Console Sierra Grey | eBay

*The air conditioning unit on it is NOT the digital one. So my first issue is that the consoles that I want all seem to have the a/c controls in them on the back. From what I've heard my analogue ac means it is near impossible to hook up and make operate properly. If that's the case then what would you guys suggest (any inserts or the like) that would remove it/cover it? Do they make that console without the A/C controls?

*Also, the Tahoe currently has the UQ3 enhanced audio package which is 6 pioneer speakers and a subwoofer. Would that subwoofer have been in the center console (which was removed by the secret service) or in the rear? Basically, do I have it.

*Whether or not I have that sub, would the bose subwoofer that inevitably comes in the center console I like be compatible? If not could it be made compatible with an aftermarket head-unit?

Audio -

*What luck have you guys had with easy install and stock look of adding tweeters to the A-Pillars? Cheap or expensive?

*Any suggestions on nav units? I was considering Pioneer X940BT because Its pretty good unit with infinite color matching of the controls as well as you can change the stock startup image to whatever you want (chevy symbol).

Engine -

*Its the L59 motor but are there any performance enhancements involved? I know the PPV tahoe has a quicker motor but not sure about the 5W4

*Whats are some of the better programmers/chips and air filters to look at?

Spotlight -

*It already has the left hand spotlight. Does anyone know If I can get the dealership to put in a second and if i need a new A pillar or just drill the stock one? Or where I should get that done. I'm a sucker for symmetry. I can handle a good DIY project but notching a door is something I would much rather leave to a professional.

Chassis -

*Does anyone have any details on the Z81 or 5W4 options they could share? All the information I could locate seems pretty vague

*It appears that the tahoe has a rake? Is this part of the package or what? How would I go about leveling it out the easiest without sacrificing any integrity (I did buy it specifically for towing). I don't believe it to be aftermarket as this was a one owner government car.

*If the car is raked and I do have some way to level it, would the trailer hitch depicted in the photo need to be moved up? It appears to be lowered? Or maybe I'm mistaken. Looks to be lower than my ex 07 silverado ltz hitch was

Body -

*Any references for good nerf style step bars?

*Does the chrome cladding on the exterior of the doors come off via adhesive or is it friction clipped on?

*Would it be reasonable cheap to put some z71 style or any style upgraded fender flares on it that might look good? Suggestions?

*Has anyone on here paint matched their chrome bumpers and grill and how much did you pay? Do yall think it would be an improvement?

Wheels -

*I have no idea which direction I want to go with wheels but just not chrome. Maybe some American racing?

Keep in mind with suggestions that I'm really not trying to go for a big lifted look or anything over the top (like massive knobby and ranch hand bumpers all around) Really I want it to be subtle but still cool looking.

just the exhaustive list of all the questions that have been floating around in my head

Thanks in advance for the replies and looking forward to becoming immersed in yet another forum.

7f5um3n.jpg

NHt1q5i.jpg

SP6uGwa.jpg

24em61S.jpg

n7QAwxl.jpg

YzZEDzj.jpg

E2YgKbI.jpg

hJCexsh.jpg

Harrison256

Reaction score
Yeah wow, I've done a lot to the car since then. About to change to a different nav prob

Eric D

Reaction score
I was looking at a few Nav/DVD/Stereo units that Crutchfield said would require a "modified fit." In the details it says you have to cut the metal support bracket behind the radio.

Did you have to do that? How hard is it? Any pictures?