'06 Tahoe w/ 100k+ miles Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k2zaj

Reaction score
Heard a fuel pump should be changed around 100k miles on these vehicles. Mine has 130k miles and still going...yet, don't want the wife on the highway or anywhere and have it go out. Any insight or experience with this? If it needs to be changed, I don't want to pay the dealership $950, but also not looking forward to dropping the tank.

JKolody

Reaction score
Heard a fuel pump should be changed around 100k miles on these vehicles. Mine has 130k miles and still going...yet, don't want the wife on the highway or anywhere and have it go out. Any insight or experience with this? If it needs to be changed, I don't want to pay the dealership $950, but also not looking forward to dropping the tank.
2000 Silverado, fuel pump died at 155,000 in '04. Paid $650 for made in China pump when your stuck in the California desert. 40,000 miles later paid $760 for OEM pump in '06. Factor in 10 years and inflation, $950 may be in the ballpark but still sucks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pvaldeben

Reaction score
I just replaced my fuel pump on a 06 tahoe PPV with 122K miles. I smelled fuel every time around the driver side rear tire and about 3 week later since the smell started I pulled my gas tank off and the fuel lines feeding the pump were so rusted that fuel was leaking out. I replaced it my self and due to ordering a pump without the fuel level sensor I had problems and tank gauge read empty. 2nd time I pulled the gas tank off, I switch the 2 blue cables and still read empty all the time. The 3rd time I pulled the gas tank off I ordered a fuel pump with the fuel level sensor built in and all worked fine after that, was able to return the other pump at autozone. At this point I can do this job in about 3.5 hours. The 3rd time I replaces the fuel pump I recorded the entire process and plan on posting it to youtube.

I did it because I had the time, but looking back I would have just taken it to my mechanic and saved me days. Its a pain in the A S S job and you need lots of patience .

But yes just take it to a mechanic and save your self few less gray hairs lol. Or if you do decide to do it your self get the complete pump it cost me about 370 at autozone. And from http://www.summitracing.com/, search 800-080 and 800-082 and order them :
1) Fuel Line Connector, 5/16, Plastic, Black, Pair (Mfr. #: 800-080)

2) Fuel Line Connectors, Plastic, Black, 3/8 in. Line Size, Steel to Nylon Line, Pair (Mfr. #: 800-082)

I had to replace these by putting vinyl hose in boiling water for 4 minutes then pulled of and replaced, I also added a clamp just for extra security.
Good luck

Last edited: