07 Tahoe Rear Liftgate will not open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude5x

Reaction score
My 07 Tahoe rear lift gate will not open, the problem is when I open the drivers door I hear the actuator trigger, but only opens the first step, if I push the button on the rear lift gate, it will not open the rest of the way. Since there is not any other way of opening it (GM messed up with that), how in the hell do you get it open without taking it to the dealer and pay a fortune. I want to get it open to remove the interior trim panel and see if I can fix it myself.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a switch on the overhead console its the same one you use to open and close it, if you toggle it in the opposite direction if will turn it off so that you can manually open it

dude5x

Reaction score
I do not have a power liftgate so I do not have the button on my overhead console.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok if you go into the back on the inside trim panel of the liftgate at the center bottom of the inside liftgate trim panel you will see a small outlined circle molded into the the trim panel, get a small drill bit and drill a hole the same size thats molded there then get a small somewhat long flat head screwdriver with the screwdriver you should feel it make contact on metal and push the screwdriver and that should open the liftgat

dude5x

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the help, I ended up having a broken wire in the switch that was a pretty easy fix. Drilling the hole and using a screw driver to open the rear lift gate worked great.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure your very welcome glad to help, and thank you also for posting back im sure this thread will help someone in the future due to your reply