'15 Tahoe rumble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
So after reading more of this thread, I just ordered the Range Technology AFM Disabler from Auto Anything. They seem to have the lowest price and then the rep knocked off $10 more from that. I think I get it at around $160.

I had a Flowmaster series 40 installed on my 2015 Tahoe and love the sound it makes (love my after market rumble) but can still tell a difference when it switches from V4 to V8. I too have been watching the dash and hearing it. Hopefully this device will lock it in on V8 all the way.

mickey5

Reaction score
Please let me know how the Range Technology part works for you. I'll order one if your happy with it.

GM is still being a pain in the drain not acknowledging the problem or advising Tahoe customers there is a solution. They really suck. Every time I contact Chevy customer satisfaction I get the same BS..."the tech people are working on it"

Last edited:

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Just received the Range Technology device in the mail today. It took all of 3.649 seconds to install. Plug it in under your dash. That's it.

Again, this device keeps the vehicle from switching from V8 down to V4. It keeps it in V8 as long as you have the device plugged in.

Just a cruise through town and I could already tell a difference. The word I would use is "smooth" since there was no switching. And with my Flowmaster 40 series exhaust (that makes a louder rumble sound more than the factory) I can tell that the sound is more consistent, smooth, and doesn't change tones since it's not dropping into the V4 mode. I could always tell when I was in V4 cause the exhaust would get louder.

So far so good with this little device. I'm very pleased, and wish that Chevy would make this a selectable option on their vehicles.

If you're interested in getting one, call AutoAnything at (858) 569-8111 x7113 and ask for Chuck ([email protected]). He gave me a discounted rate of $160.55, which was the lowest price anywhere at the time.

I'll put this info in another thread so other Tahoe owners can be informed. Thanks.

Redlodger

Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LTZ No Rumble Heard

I had a 2008 LTZ and did not hear a rumble in V4 mode. I traded it in June for a 2015 LTZ and have about 4500 miles of combined city/highway miles. I do not hear a rumble when it switches to V4 mode. Perhaps the LTZ has more sound insulation?

ralphtt1

Reaction score
I too bought a '15 LTZ in June and after reading about this problem have been listening hard for the RUMBLE. Haven't heard it yet and I have made several short trips on smooth roads for no other purpose than to listen for the rumble. Granted, my hearing is not what it was 50 years ago but I have worried about this non-existent (to me) problem long enough. :dogpile:

I'm just gonna' lean back and enjoy my Tahoe! . . . :waytogo:

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2014 LTZ 5.3 and have no issues so far. I do get better gas mileage around town, when I leave it in trailer mode. My wife hates it, because it rev's the engine higher. But she has her own vehicle to drive..

mickey5

Reaction score
After all this time I just stumbled on the solution to the V4 rumble and steering wheel vibration on my '15. GM has been silent on this problem so I'll tell you what to do. Shift the transmission lever to "M" manual mode and press the +/- buttons to 5 (fifth gear). It locks into V8 mode and shifts normally. You can do this if your just starting up or after your rolling. The beauty of it is you can switch back and forth while your rolling to get high MPG on the interstate when the rumble isn't too bad in V4 back to V8 M5 mode around town.

Now why the hell can't GM tell you this trick. Like I said before in frustration, they really suck. I and I'm sure a few others were giving serious thought to dumping this new design because of the constant noise and vibration, especially under 40 mph. Now I can finally begin to enjoy my new toy.

JWRed

Reaction score
I'm a newby here so this may be considered water under the bridge. That being said, I recently bought a 15 LTZ, that had a similar rumble, noticed during the test drive.

I figured out it is caused by the rather large cross members on the roof. In checking out my theory, I inspected the bars and found both to be poorly installed. On the passenger side the two screws holding the units in place were loose enough to remove them by hand (front and rear). Whoever installed these must have been in a rush!

Needless to say I totally removed the bars, and the rumble has ceased! When I need these I'll reinstall to see if the noise returns. IMO these bars are much too large than need be.

JW

Qwest

Reaction score
Thank God I found this thread. I was going crazy thinking it was just me. I like to research these things so I can go to the dealer and let them know not to try and convince me it's not a problem since I've seen that others have the same issue.

I have a '15 LT

DannyLT

Reaction score
I have the '16 Tahoe LT and I do not notice any difference between the V8 and V4 mode other than it changing on my display. One would think that if were we worried about a couple MPG we wouldn't have bought a 5.3L V8, but ok... let's save the world.

Good luck. Hope you get it resolved.

tconne01

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm a newby and am happy to have found you. I recently traded my '07 Tahoe LT on a new '15 LT. What a disappointment! One week after taking delivery I drove from the Jersey Shore to Sarasota Fl down I-95. What I noticed was a drone/rumble in V4 mode that was constant at 60-70 MPH. It drove us nuts 8 hours a day. Sounded like bees buzzing around my ears. It stayed in V4 mode more than half the time on the straight, flat interstate.

When we got home we immediately took it in to the dealership and was told it was"performing as designed". Opened up a file with Chevy Customer Support who arranged to have a zone manager meet me at the dealership. He was driving the same Tahoe and model as me and agreed with my problem but advised there was nothing to be done as it was designed that way.

When asked why I was told it was for better gas mileage in V4 mode. I advised I didn't spend $60K for a cuople of MPG over my '07. There was no reply.

Any of you out there that has the same problem and what are you doing about it? How about tuning it out? Eliminate or reduce V4 mode?

Were your rear windows rolled down any way down ? because that will absolutely cause that issue ?

gatekeeper

Reaction score
Just received the Range Technology device in the mail today. It took all of 3.649 seconds to install. Plug it in under your dash. That's it.

Again, this device keeps the vehicle from switching from V8 down to V4. It keeps it in V8 as long as you have the device plugged in.

Just a cruise through town and I could already tell a difference. The word I would use is "smooth" since there was no switching. And with my Flowmaster 40 series exhaust (that makes a louder rumble sound more than the factory) I can tell that the sound is more consistent, smooth, and doesn't change tones since it's not dropping into the V4 mode. I could always tell when I was in V4 cause the exhaust would get louder.

So far so good with this little device. I'm very pleased, and wish that Chevy would make this a selectable option on their vehicles.

If you're interested in getting one, call AutoAnything at (858) 569-8111 x7113 and ask for Chuck ([email protected]). He gave me a discounted rate of $160.55, which was the lowest price anywhere at the time.

I'll put this info in another thread so other Tahoe owners can be informed. Thanks.

heard you need to unplug it everytime the car sits for long periods?
any issues with the AFM up to now ?

dvwright

Reaction score
Yes, I have had the range Technology for about a year. First one would not "wake up" when left in plugged in overnight. I called and sent it back, and they sent another device. Works fine.
YES, unplug after 2 or 3 days sitting. I am now retired, and I don't know how many days it sat, but it drained the battery. I love the power all the time, and no surge when V4 to V8. Also great gas mileage.

Qwest

Reaction score
I'm definitely not interested in buying some device to plug in to my $55k+ vehicle and have to worry about it draining my battery. More importantly, I don't want them having the excuse that I voided the warranty somehow in case they come out with a fix soon.

This is a big and obvious enough problem that they need to fix it and they are clearly stalling.

The good news, when they start stalling like this they are usually working on a fix.

The bad news, I've read threads as far back as 2012 on other Chevy models with this same problem so this has been going on for a LONG time.

This sucks because I love my 15' LT. It's PERFECT in every other way. I got every feature I wanted from the wheels and color to the sunroof. But my fear is this rumbling is almost certain to cause major problems down the road. Likely the moment I surpass the warranty cutoff.

Qwest

Reaction score
Yeah, and that's the thing. Most people who buy these trucks really aren't concerned about the mileage. I personally don't want and didn't ask for this "feature". So that makes it doubly annoying that it's causing problems.

If GM can't fix the problem on vehicles that are brought in theres a REALLY easy answer here that would save them tons of customer complaints and people leaving the brand... The answer is, just make it easy for dealers to rturn it off.

I'd bet 80% or more of customers would be happy with that. Because, like you said, most could care less about the MPG it saves.

LOWKEY

Reaction score
I find it pointless with the DOD in these trucks, makes no difference at all and I can feel mine switching back and fourth between 4 & 8 and its annoying, the 6 speed in these trucks are pointless and I believe it causes the terrible MPG, not that it should get 30MPG but 17-18 would be nice. just took mine from Cleveland to myrtle beach and let me tell you how annoying it was, I tested it in 5th driving about 125 miles and it didn't have to shift 100 times from 6th to 5th and still got the same MPG even setting the cruise at 95MPH ( I like to cruise :cool:) sometimes! keep the 5 speed and get some real ratios in these transmissions GM! my 04 got the same MPG as this new one! :rolleyes: