1995 Tahoe Smoke on startup and acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCarolinaSailor

Reaction score
I accidentally posted this earlier in the 2007+ section by accident.

My 95 Tahoe smokes like crazy on starting and a little when accelerating from zero. I think they are two different problems as the big smoke is related to an internal coolant leak and the small smoke seems to be oil (valve seats maybe?) I was trying to solve the coolant leak first. I replaced the intake manifold gasket as I heard that was a common cause of this but it had no effect so does that mean it is for sure a head gasket? Any other possibilities? Any possible fixes that will work till I have the ability to pull the heads?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is the smoke both times.... White-coolant Bluish-oil Black-fuel

Valve stem seals will cause those issues IIRC......

robbt

Reaction score
have you done a compression test, has it ever gotten hot.

here is test to do. may have to make an adaptor, but with the valves closed, pressurize each cylinder with air to find leaks. check to find if air leaks into the radiator or thru the valve cover. could be a cracked head gasket or cracked head. if it has gotten hot, over 240, could be a cracked head. over heating could also cause excessive wear on the rings and valve guides. how many miles does it have.