1996 Tahoe steering problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madmouse57

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 96 2dr Tahoe LT. 214k miles on it. I've had the pitman, idler arm and bushings changed out as well as a replacement steering gear box.

I've looked all over the web and this forum and don't see steering problems for a 96 that match this - 97 and beyond have EVO which has a similar problem, but the fix for the 96 will not be the same.

The problem is the steering is very loose. Not 'play' in the steering, but you could use your pinky to steer and at speed it is kind of scary it is so loose. The wheel does not center naturally after a turn. It feels like you are floating down the road.

So could this be the gear? I don't think the rag joint would make it this loose, as it said it is not a steering play issue.

Thanks,

Ron

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe you got a over active pump or gear issue? I don't remember my '96 driving bad, my '98 I have now is a sloppy pig compared to what I remember of my '96.

madmouse57

Reaction score
Turned out to be the steering box. Tightened up the adjuster on the top and it made a world of difference.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice... Don't tighten it up too much, you can/will grenade the steering gear.