1999 LT Pushbutton 4X4 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsteiger

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying I have never owned a 4X4 before nor a Chevy truck so I am learning a lot as I resurrect my 1999 Tahoe with 187,000 miles.

Right now it drives really well and I have taken it out quite a bit. I have not messed with the pushbutton 4WD system.. yet.

What I have noticed is that sometime there is an LED on the 2WD button that is lit at times and other times it is not lit. Normally when I start it the light is off and there are no lights on any of the 4WD buttons. Once I am driving for a bit I will notice the LED is lit on the 2WD button which I assume is right since I am pretty sure it is in 2WD. I have not seen a light come on any other the other buttons.

Is it normal for this light to come on and off? If so what is it telling me?

ocampo75

Reaction score
my tahoe has th same issue budy; when i remove the dash i noted that the wires on the 4x4 buttons seems to have bad contact and let the led turno off and on when theres some movement on the tahoe..

rsteiger

Reaction score
my tahoe has th same issue budy; when i remove the dash i noted that the wires on the 4x4 buttons seems to have bad contact and let the led turno off and on when theres some movement on the tahoe..

OK.. thanks I will take a look at the connections and maybe some WD40 is in order. Other that that I won't worry about it.

JIvey13

Reaction score
So, I had the same problem with my 2000Old Body Style Z71. I contatcted my dad wh sells autoparts and he contacted a buddy of his at the dealer. He said i had to change the 4wd actuator motor on th transfer case. I looed up the problem agan and found that over time the actuator accumulates water and corrodes. Finally after a year and a half of not having a working transfer case, I put in the new actuator and low and behold it worked. So, I would try that if I were you.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having an iffy 2wd light, also my backlight was burnt out, I pulled the switch apart, replaced the 2 bulbs, resoldered everything and cleaned the contacts and it works beautifully, no replacement parts but 2 cheap radio shackbulbs required....

rsteiger

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Got my shop manuals the other day and they give a set of tests to determine the issue. Based on what I do know it sounds like an electrical connectivity issue on the light portion.

Once I get the truck back (my friends have been borrowing it since I got it running) I will start with the electrical side first.

2000tahoez71

Reaction score
If it's cold outside, my light on the 2wd side will come one. If it's warm, it goes out. 4x4 works fine, haven't investigated it any further.