1999 Tahoe Fuel Pump Replacement Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackdgalloway

Reaction score
So, I dropped the tank, replaced the fuel pump on my 99 tahoe, reconnected the quick connect lines and put the gas tank back. After about 2 weeks of running, the supply line popped off the fuel pump and spewed gas. I then took the tank back off and found 2 loose washers, 2 o-rings (that only fit on the supply, 3/8 line) and one plastic piece on top of the tank that (presumably) came out of the hose side of the quick connect, as the o-rings fit the 3/8 line. Additionally the return line had the black plastic piece still inside it. I'm looking all over to find the correct procedure to reconnect the supply line since I can put it on and take it off the plastic retainer clip by hand, yet need a snug (proper) connection. What is the correct diagram for reconstructing that quick connect with the washers and o-rings?

Anybody have recommendations or expertise? I've dropped that tank and raised it a couple times now just to have the line pop off easily, whereupon I found the o-rings, washers and plastic piece and am tired of that process!

Thanks so much.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like there was damage to the retaining mechanism, either the lip on the module or the barbs inside the metal shell on the line ends........

Either that or you arent seating them all the way on and clicking them in place......

jackdgalloway

Reaction score
I think the lip is fine based on inspection of the supply and return. I thought all those parts fell out before I seated it, but it'd also make sense that it could have failed and those then fell out.

Would it be possible to rebuild this, via "collet, o-ring, washer, oring" and trying to re-seat the line? Or if those fell out is it generally considered "failed and must replace"?

I have purchased the attached Dorman fuel line repair kit but the hose line on this isn't nearly as nice as the original. I thought perhaps I knocked those parts out in my several early failed attempts to reconnect the hose line (before I realized I forgot the retainer clip on the old pump). I then bought new clips and put the line on.

Thanks for the help again.

Attachments

• Dorman-fuel-line.jpg
    Dorman-fuel-line.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like lesterl said, gotta make sure all attachments click in to place and don't have something pulling on them after reinstall.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had these come apart.....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC that kit in the picture is a fuel line to fuel filter kit and the fuel pump line wont have the plastic piece, the end would be steel collar with barbs inside.... been a year since I did my 98, and a couple years since the 95 had one......