1999 Tahoe LT 4X4 coming back to life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsteiger

Reaction score
Picked up a 1999 Tahoe with 185,000 miles that had been sitting for about 2 years.

The truck belonged to the daughter of a guy I work with and she brought it back to his house when she moved back home after a divorce. She since got remarried and is driving around in a new vehicle and the Tahoe just sat. Two years later her Dad asked me if I wanted to buy it since I was looking for something to tow my dirtbikes around the country. He made me a real nice deal and I took it.

After putting a new battery in it the truck started right up. We cleaned it up and I drove it home and offered my daughter a few $$ if she cleaned it up. She made her first pass cleaning it up and named it Yetti since it was big, white, and smelled.

Found out that the smell was coming from a windshield water leak. Found a rough looking bead of silicon on the top of the windshield and cleaned that all out then used some of the flowable silicon to seal it up. Success :peace: Probably will replace the windshield in the near future but it is not a priority now.

Replaced all four tires with some new Dunlops (these cost me more than the truck), pitman, and idler arms.

Also found that the door bushings were shot and replaced those along with two inside door handles and managed to score a shop manual on eBay for a decent price.

1441480_10201591925034463_51645334_n.jpg

1391640_10201591921594377_2116507771_n.jpg

So this weekend I actually took it out and put a couple of hundred miles on it. Runs great and drives pretty good - probably needs the shocks replaced. During the drive I had the SES light come on and when I got back I scanned for codes and had a P0420 Code which when I looked it up in the Service Manual appears that it could be due to the LH cat, sensors, or wiring. Looks like they want you to monitor the sensors before and after the cat to help determine if it is the cat or the sensor. I don't think my little scan tool has that capability. So for now I just cleared the codes and took it out tonight to get some dinner and everything appears to be ok.

Is there a 'redneck' way to diagnose this issue if the code does come back?

For now we will just keep working on cleaning up Yetti. The leather seats are in decent shape except for the drivers which tore up pretty good. Thinking about ordering some new seat foam and bottom cover to redo it or going to a local upholstery shop and seeing what they can do with it.

Got an Enduro down in Florida in January and so far I have 4 bikes and 3 other riders that I will be carrying down there for the weekend. Sure as hell beats towing the bike down there with my Focus.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking rig...... P0420 as I would interpret it (without looking at the live data) I would suspect your CAT is not functioning...... either hollow or it is trash...... Watch the live datastream and if the B1S2 readings fluctuate just like B1S1 then it could be empty.....

rsteiger

Reaction score
Nice looking rig...... P0420 as I would interpret it (without looking at the live data) I would suspect your CAT is not functioning...... either hollow or it is trash...... Watch the live datastream and if the B1S2 readings fluctuate just like B1S1 then it could be empty.....

ok cool. I suspect if that is the case it is going bad since I had to get the vehicle to pass emissions in order to tag it. One of the joys about living in the Atlanta Metro area.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a nice pair of 2" walkers for about $100 off amazon.....

rsteiger

Reaction score
Thanks for the video!

I will need to borrow another OBDII scanner reader tool since the one I used cannot read the live data. A buddy of mine has one of those bluetooth/smart phone scanners that I will borrow this weekend.

Looks like if I go with the Walker setup I will need to find some one to do the installation since I do not weld or have a welder.

2000tahoez71

Reaction score
Your best bet with cats is to get a direct replacement. More expensize yes, but if you can't weld the universals in it's the best option. I opted for the magnaflows. Was also told to replace all 4 sensors.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would only replace the pre cat sensors as they activley adjust fuel trims, post cat sensors only determine if the cats are good....