1999 Yukon Starter Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shooterdean4

Reaction score
I have had nothing but trouble with what should have been an easy task. About a year ago my starter went out on my 1999 Yukon. I got a new one and replaced it. It only worked for about a week then started grinding and I had to then get a new starter. When I bought the second one, the guy at the auto parts store said I may have to shim the starter. I thought that was odd since there were now shims that came off when I took the starter out originally. So, I proceed to shim the starter multiple different ways and only got grinding and by the time I was done, I need to get another started because the gear was not good anymore. So then I thought it maybe the flexplate. I proceeded to change the flexplate and then put yet another new starter in, still got only grinding. By this time I was really frustrated and had given up.

I then decided just to take it to a shop so my truck would just run. I explained to the shop that I had changed the started about 5 times, the flexplate once, and tried to shim the starter. The really didn't want to listen to me. They said I would need a new starter and flexplate. I said if that fixes it and it runs, that will work. The next day they called me and said it was not the starter or flexplate, after they already replace them, and said it was my thrust bearings on the crankshaft. This would mean that they have to take the engine out and replace them or I could get a rebuilt engine for about the same price they could replace the bearings. As heated as I was that they said I would just need a flexplate and starter I told them I did not want them to do anything with the engine, but they still needed $1000 for the work they did. As you can imagine I was not in a good mood.

So, after 5 months of not being able to work on the truck, my brother and I took the engine out and replace the crankshaft and thrust/main bearings to fix the problem. Once we got it together, I put a new starter in it and the flexplate was still fine. The moment came to start the Yukon. When I turned it over, I only got grinding. Since then I have tried to shim the started once again multiple different ways. I did get it started a couple time, but when I shut it off and then try to start it again, grinding.

I have had the battery tested, new positive cable to the starter, checked the ground to the block. I even decided to measure how much the started is connecting with the flexplate and it is only connecting to about half the flexplate. The auto parts store and the shop I took it to, said that was the right starter and when I replaced the flexplate, I compared to make sure they were and exact match.

So, I am asking anyone for some help that I cannot figure out and a shop could not figure out either.

Thanks for the help

Shooterdean4

Reaction score
Yes, I compared the flexplate when I got the new one and I checked to see if it was on right and there is only one way to put it on.

fellowyukonowner

Reaction score
starter grind

i just bought a 98 yukon and it has that same starter grind problem, i tried a bunch of shim combos, still grinds. looked to forums found your story became discouraged so looked on alldata, i own a small repair shop, found a tsb. haven't tried it, but looks promising...
shops that don't do their research make us look bad...
good luck to you!

Attachments

• 98 Yukon Starter TSB.doc
    60.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Paco

Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe, owner since new. On about the 10th starter. Grinding is now happening on almost every cold start and starter fails after about one month. However, starts fine when engine is warm. Did replacing the crankshaft position sensor as per the TSB fix the problem?

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Paco. An interesting problem. I'm thinking that if you could temporarily disable ignition (pull fuse, plug wires, whatever), then engage the starter for a couple seconds, then if it DOESN'T do the 'grinding' sound you've confirmed the validity of the attached service bulletin...

Paco

Reaction score
Solution to the grinding starter issue turned out to be replacing the distributor. Apparently worn gears/stray voltage in the distributor was causing backfire ie. wrong cylinder firing during startup and thus the grinding starter. but the backfire seemed to only occur during start up...and was disguised by the grinding starter making it seem like a starter issue.