1ST oil change

• 500 Miles

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • 1000 Miles

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 3000 Miles

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed it when the DIC told me to change it. It was more than 3k.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM insider recommended 1500 for the first. During that time any and all surfaces will wear in and produce small particles.

Change early then go with DIC if you are really trying to save or plan on trading out every 3 years. Go 3000 if you see the $45 as cheap security for an expensive long term investment.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.........Change early then go with DIC if you are really trying to save or plan on trading out every 3 years. Go 3000 if you see the $45 as cheap security for an expensive long term investment.

Is this your opinion or factual information? I drive 'em till the wheels fall off, or until I get tired of them, and the last gasoline vehicle I owned, a 2000 Impala had 210,000 miles when I traded it in during mid-2005 (I was tired of it). I changed the oil in that when the "Change Oil" light came on which was about every 7000 miles.

My Tahoe goes around 9200 miles between oil changes, and I change it with about 5-10% left on the life. I'm driving less these days, only 30K-40K per year, so it may take a little longer to reach 200,000 and beyond. But I feel very comfortable in relying on the oil life monitor while using Mobile 1 Delvac, or Truck & SUV (same stuff, just rebadged).

Last edited:

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I stated, it was from a GM insider. He related what I was passing on to you. To each his. Just about everything is opinion.

Again though, is the difference in the number of oil changes really that big of a deal. I put $80 in the tank once a week. Does a $45 oil change every third month instead of every other really save that much??

21,000 miles a year divided by 3000 is 7 changes. Divided by 6000 is 3.5 changes
$180 a year difference for me.

And since you bring up Mobil oil; go to their website were you can clearly see that the longest recommend oil change interval with their best conventional motor oil is 7,500 miles while they claim that you can go up to 15,000 miles on Mobil-1 synthetic.

Viscosity stability being the primary advantage of synthetics which really equates to "oil life".

Last edited:

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the thread...

http://www.chevroletforum.com/m_11243/tm.htm

Just his post with his opinion

If you plan on driving the Tahoe until the wheels fall off then here’s the skinny:

Always use a good quality oil filter, AC Delco are decent, the $10 synthetic media filters are superior but may not be worth the expense (you'll have to decide).

You should make your first oil change at about 1,500 miles to get rig of all the suspended microscopic break-in particles that are not entrapped by the filter.
Then you are ok to follow the oil life monitor providing that you use a full synthetic oil (Mobile-1 5w-30 is highly recommended by GM) but many of you might have a favorite and the worst synthetic is generally better than the best mineral based product.

If you use regular mineral based motor oil then it would be wise to change the oil every 3-4k miles (or when the monitor reads about 50%) especially if towing or heavy stop and go in the heat.

Always change the oil when it the motor is at normal operating temperature and allow it to sit with the drain-plug out for as long as possible to allow as much contaminated oil to drip out as possible.
Make sure to clean the area around the filler neck and use a sparkling clean funnel (if needed) so you do not introduce any contamination to the engine when refilling.

The use of solvents in the crank case (such as Motor Flush) or any additives is strongly discouraged.

If you aren't going to keep the vehicle beyond 100,000 miles then follow the oil life monitor and use regular oil.

This topic has been the basis for some major league heated debates though and everyone has they're own ideas and opinions (which I respect).

clkelley

Reaction score
I personally believe that everyone can save money by extending their service intervals. Especially when covering miles like others in this thread. Just FYI, make sure that no matter what oil and filter you use, you need to at the very least stick to the recommended intervals suggested by the oil manufacturer.

That being said, Amsoil offers oils for every customer. From the one that wants to stick with OEM intervals all the way to the guy that wants to change their oil as little as possible. For example: Amsoil Signature Series oil has a change intervals of 25K miles or one year when used in conjunction with their 25K mile EA oil filter (made by Baldwin filters exclusively for Amsoil using blue nanofiber material). With "warranted" intervals like that, you could actually save some coin over the years whether you plan to keep the vehicle or not.

Anyone with questions can feel free to contact me for more information about this.

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the first oil change on a vehicle I would always go for an early oil change, and on that change install a superior filter and or a magnetic drain plug to catch some of the early metal shavings that will happen with the seating of parts in the engine. Whether that be at 500 mi, 1000 mi or some other number you chose. I would not wait the standard drain intervals.