2000 NBS Tahoe front diff issues (what to do)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newTahoeDude

Reaction score
The facts: 2000 NBS Tahoe 5.3 4x4 GT4 G80 Push button 2hi/4hi/4lo/AUTO with 239k on it. I bought this hoe for $1800 and it needed a rear end BAD, so bad that I couldn't hear any other noises over the drown of the trashed rear end but saw the front left diff leaking... I removed the drivers side axle stub and removed the old seal and it was dry rotted and failing to pieces which I thought was good news, replaced with new seal and reinstalled stub. drained what little oil it had (probably half a quart NOT GOOD) and replaced with Mobile 1 75w-90... There is no growling or crazy sounds coming from the diff and after a test drive it is pouring out fluid.. The only sound is at low speed and is a continuous squeak which sounds like the dust shield is rubbing in the rotor (its not) and is louder in reverse, also you can hear the front diff gears also only in reverse... I wanted to get some opinions of what I should/can do... The options i can think of are:

1.Used diff out of yard or wrecked vehicle
2.Rebuild the one I have
3.Try to replace axle stub bearing(if it can be done) and another new seal to stop the leak (other side doesn't leak a drop) and continue driving it.

Any opinions on the situation would be GREATLY appreciated!

newTahoeDude

Reaction score
I sourced a used one for $200 so just going to swap that one in and attempted a rebuild of the junk one. I put in 4wd, don't know why I didn't try before, and upon a small drive found that it is SHOT to HELL! Can't wait to see what it looks like inside!